Some basic facts

A rank beginner in TV technology, I only recently heard of the PLEX TV app. I am having trouble, however, understanding it. I have looked at this User Forum but find it is far too advanced for me. Would appreciate if someone would just advise me on these basic points; or point me to a
kindergarten-level guide.

1. Am I correct in understanding that the PLEX app runs on my PC (Windows 10 desktop) but that its output (say a program broadcast by my local NBS channel) can be sent to my other-room TV sets over my home WiFi network?
    a. I do NOT have to hardwire the PC to the other-room TV set, right?
    b. What hardware (if any) must I attach to the TV set to enable it to receive the WiFi signal? Or is that capability built in to modern TV sets?
    c. If my TV set does not have this built-in capability, can I add some simple gadget (e.g. an Amazon stick) to achieve it?

2. Am I correct in understanding that the PLEX setup allows me to cut off my COMCAST TV service, recognizing that there may be some content I will not be able to get?

3. What does PLEX cost?

Thanks. ...dutchman39

That’s correct – for Plex to work, you need one “Server” (could be your PC) that runs the Plex app. This app is the part organizing your media.
This “server” can distribute your content via your network to multiple “client” devices (could be your TV, could be a set-top-box, could be your phone or tablet).

(1a) You can do this using WiFi… if you want to stream higher quality media, it’s recommended to have a wired connection (e.g. from the server to the router and from the router to the client device).
You will be able to start things over WiFi and upgrade it there’s any bottlenecks.

(1b) There’s some TV sets which have the capability to install a Plex client (e.g. some Sony Android TVs but also various LG WebOS / Smart TVs or Samsung Smart TVs) – however not all their models have the capabilities built-in. Generally you might have a better experience with a set-top-box or TV stick (e.g. Apple TV 4 or 4K, Android Fire TV, some Android TV boxes, Roku, Nvidea Shield). If you already got one of those, you can also re-use it for your Plex setup.
Here’s a list of the official Plex client apps.

(1c) see 1b :wink:

(2) of sorts. In the first place, Plex is a platform to stream your own content. If you buy a Plex Pass membership, you’ll be able to expand its core functionality in combination with a compatible TV Tuner. This will allow you to watch and record OTA tv from your region.

(3) Plex for its basic functions is free. You can download it and test it out (except for the features you need to pay for). There’s different models to expand the functionality:

• One-time activations for Plex clients on your mobile phone / tablet – those are otherwise restricted
  • Subscriptions for 1 month, 1 year or a lifetime pass.

If you want to test it, I recommend starting with a free setup.
If you like what you see, you can test a Plex Pass with a 1 month subscription.

There’s a set of nice support articles and step-by-step guides walking you through the installation and preparation of your media for Plex to recognize it and get you all the additional information like posters, descriptions, cast or online extras (in combination with a Plex Pass).

@Dutchman39 said:
2. Am I correct in understanding that the PLEX setup allows me to cut off my COMCAST TV service, recognizing that there may be some content I will not be able to get?

No. Plex does not provide content. We have a DVR feature which allows Plex to control a digital tuner you have (need to buy if you don’t already have one). The tuner is what provides the content. One that receives over-the-air signals will then allow you to see and record these. A tuner that supports a cable card will allow you to use your current cable provider and record from them (as long as the channel is not encrypted, this is up to your cable provider).

So if you are looking to replace your Comcast TV, this isn’t a 1 to 1 swap.