Some video files won't play after update

xbox-one

#1

I have several video files that were playing fine on Xbox One before the app update but now will not play.

Details of the files:
Mp4
H264 codec
AAC 5.1 audio

i suspect that the issue is the 5.1 audio because I have converted the file to mkv format with video pass through and they play fine.

It's frustrating that the old player worked and the new doesn't (or am I missing something?)


#2

i have the same problems. Old one was fine with playing all my files. I like the new one but i cant play all video anymore. I have smallville from dvd and is ripped with makemkv. But i cant play these anymore.


#3

I haven't found a single file I can play anymore, even with Direct Play turned off. This update has literally made the app useless since nothing will play. How disappointing.


#4

I cant believe what as happen to the xbox one app. I cant see any of my 21tb of films only music files in the film tab. I had all my films age rated in separate file but now nothing i am gutted as specially as i have payed for life time pass


#5

And it seems no one cares.....


#6

Guys, Plex is aware of the way the new navigation is affecting certain people who have broken out their movies into separate libraries or those without music and pictures.

Carlo


#7

@cayars said:
Guys, Plex is aware of the way the new navigation is affecting certain people who have broken out their movies into separate libraries or those without music and pictures.

Carlo

And your comment relates not at all to my original post


#8

I’m having problems with mkv files playing correctly. And my server is showing up as “nearby” instead of local. Apparently @Moussa said there was a beta app and we could PM him to get it but I haven’t received a response from him.


#9

@scott.mcnamara said:

@cayars said:
Guys, Plex is aware of the way the new navigation is affecting certain people who have broken out their movies into separate libraries or those without music and pictures.

Carlo

And your comment relates not at all to my original post

That was aimed at someone else and not you.

Plex is currently investigating and working on the playback issues some people are experiencing with the new Xbox app.


#10

@cayars said:

@scott.mcnamara said:

@cayars said:
Guys, Plex is aware of the way the new navigation is affecting certain people who have broken out their movies into separate libraries or those without music and pictures.

Carlo

And your comment relates not at all to my original post

That was aimed at someone else and not you.

Plex is currently investigating and working on the playback issues some people are experiencing with the new Xbox app.

There is not one comment in this thread that your reply is relevant to.

The problem is nothing to do with navigation (although the UI of the new app is horrible, what were they thinking) but to do with files not playing.

Plex have managed in one update to totally kill the Xbox ONe as a media player for Plex.

Now having to use another device to play movies.


#11

have to plus one this - When I updated the XBox One app it actually installed itself alongside the old. Foolishly I deleted the old. Now I to have certain files that will not play, including some I watched last week on the old player. The lack of ability to roll back is bad. Am wondering now why I bother with a plex pass seeing as XBox One is the only player | Watch this on!


#12

@jammanuk2000 said:

@cayars said:

@scott.mcnamara said:

@cayars said:
Guys, Plex is aware of the way the new navigation is affecting certain people who have broken out their movies into separate libraries or those without music and pictures.

Carlo

And your comment relates not at all to my original post

That was aimed at someone else and not you.

Plex is currently investigating and working on the playback issues some people are experiencing with the new Xbox app.

There is not one comment in this thread that your reply is relevant to.

The problem is nothing to do with navigation (although the UI of the new app is horrible, what were they thinking) but to do with files not playing.

Plex have managed in one update to totally kill the Xbox ONe as a media player for Plex.

Now having to use another device to play movies.

Sure it does including the Op post. Multiple people here are talking about not being able to play back certain files.

My original post about navigation had nothing to do with this thread as I had to many tabs opened, grabbed coffee and got my xbox windows mixed up when I typed it. But anyway, the play back issues are being looked into and will be fixed.

Carlo


#13

@markmoore793 said:
have to plus one this - When I updated the XBox One app it actually installed itself alongside the old. Foolishly I deleted the old. Now I to have certain files that will not play, including some I watched last week on the old player. The lack of ability to roll back is bad. Am wondering now why I bother with a plex pass seeing as XBox One is the only player | Watch this on!

I kept the old app but it forced an update after a few days.


#14

@cayars said:

@jammanuk2000 said:

@cayars said:

@scott.mcnamara said:

@cayars said:
Guys, Plex is aware of the way the new navigation is affecting certain people who have broken out their movies into separate libraries or those without music and pictures.

Carlo

And your comment relates not at all to my original post

That was aimed at someone else and not you.

Plex is currently investigating and working on the playback issues some people are experiencing with the new Xbox app.

There is not one comment in this thread that your reply is relevant to.

The problem is nothing to do with navigation (although the UI of the new app is horrible, what were they thinking) but to do with files not playing.

Plex have managed in one update to totally kill the Xbox ONe as a media player for Plex.

Now having to use another device to play movies.

Sure it does including the Op post. Multiple people here are talking about not being able to play back certain files.

My original post about navigation had nothing to do with this thread as I had to many tabs opened, grabbed coffee and got my xbox windows mixed up when I typed it. But anyway, the play back issues are being looked into and will be fixed.

Carlo

Sorry Carlo - you can't have it both ways.

"sure it does including the Op post" - no it doesn't - nothing at all to do with the original post. You admit as much in your second paragraph.

How about you all just admit that you have made a complete mess of the xbox one app and revert to the old one that was working fine.


#15

I beg to differ:
OP Post:

I have several video files that were playing fine on Xbox One before the app update but now will not play.

Details of the files:
Mp4
H264 codec
AAC 5.1 audio

i suspect that the issue is the 5.1 audio because I have converted the file to mkv format with video pass through and they play fine.

It's frustrating that the old player worked and the new doesn't (or am I missing something?)

Response:

@cayars said:
That was aimed at someone else and not you.

Plex is currently investigating and working on the playback issues some people are experiencing with the new Xbox app.

I think the last sentence had everything to do with the Op post and other comments about play back issues.

How about you all just admit that you have made a complete mess of the xbox one app and revert to the old one that was working fine.

I didn't/don't have anything to do with the design or coding of the app. I'm a Ninja, not an employee. I'm not trying to make excuses or pass judgement on the new app. I'm just trying to pass information I as a Ninja know about and letting you know they are aware of the play back issues and working on fixes for them. Simple as that.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new top menu and the up arrow navigation but I didn't like it in PMP2 either, but that's besides the point and has nothing to do with play back issues. I'm a user just like you and can have personal pet peaves of my own. I only mention this to show I can have my own opinion and I'm not towing some company line.

All I can tell you is Plex is aware of the issue and working on it!

Carlo


#16

same issue.. major disappointment as plex is basically useless right now


#17

Same issue here. Might have to go back to Kodi now that there is an xb1s app.


#18

@bennysthe1 said:
Same issue here. Might have to go back to Kodi now that there is an xb1s app.

tried downloading that last night, to try and install plex for kodi… lol.
but alas, kodi was not available.

cannot stand the current plex xb1 app :frowning:


#19

Ditto here with our BR ripped Cold Feet and Battlestar Galactica series.

I’m also going to look again at Kodi, now there is an app on XB1. Plex have a few months to get their app working, before Kodi releases a true competitor. The old app was ok, the new one had some teething issues, again ok, but to release a new version that doesn’t fix some fundamental issues and introduces new ones is reckless.


#20

I use PLEX primarily to play nothing but my own .MP4 videos. Within the past two weeks, I am literally unable to play most of them. These are all files that worked fine for a long time. Some report a “wrong or missing codec” . Others simply say “ERROR”, try “reloading plex or restart the app”. I have done that repeatedly with no improvement. The next time I reload something or restart an app it will be something else that works. They had a good thing going but it is worthless now. I haven’t changed any equipment, two different versions of Firestick and they all act the same. They just won’t work with PLEX.

Time to find something else…
KentM