This is not ASS specific issue. Happens to SRT too. (probably all subtitle formats)
playing in plex web, subtitles are OK
casting from plex web, subtitles are OK
playing in android app, subtitles are OK
casting from android app, no subtitle showing
I see the correct subtitle is auto picked before playing media.
Same for both embedded and external subtitles.
App version 2025.15.0 (966828394)
Server version 1.41.6.9685
I’m surprised we’re still like this after all this time… I want to update to see if it’s more stable with my Chromecast Ultra and use the other features… but what a mess Plex has made…
The old app crashes quite a bit and is unstable to use. I’m still using version 10.26.0.2578 because even though it’s unstable and crashes a lot, all the subtitles work perfectly on Chromecast Ultra.
Can confirm that ever since the new app (the redesign) casting from Plex to a Chromecast (the old kind without Google TV at least, I have an Ultra myself but friends using my server generally have the non-Ultra kind) subtitles seem to (almost?) always get converted to WEBVTT (from e.g. ASS), which also means they lose all of their styling and placement. This is especially annoying if you watch a lot of anime, which often uses heavily styled ASS subtitles. With the old app they were able to direct play these just fine, or they would get burned into the video if a transcode was necessary. I’d honestly be fine with having them burned in by default as well, as anything is better than losing all of the subtitle styles.
As said above it’s not just ASS subtitles, but SRT as well. Another downside of everything getting converted to WEBVTT is that it uses this ugly monospace font and that the subtitles get a black background. Subtitle style settings are completely ignored.