Tracking PMP functionality with Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake NUCs

plex-media-player

#1

This discussion was created from comments split from: Plex Media Player 1.2.3-RC1.


#2

NUC7i3XXX running through this USB Type C Adaptor to HDMI 2.0

No 7.1 Sound on any movie, most movies 5.1 appears to work

however, on The Accountant, the 1080P Stutters heavily “Like goes to black screen for 10 seconds then comes back for 3 seconds, - Repeat” and no sound… no matter what I select. 7.1, 5.1, nothing.

CONF and LOGS attached.

and


#3

I will be testing the NUC7i3BNK tomorrow with the same adapter.


#4

@“Ach!lles” have you tested the NUC7i3 yet? After further testing, I can say that its stuttering on all high quality 1080P movies.

The overlay says “Hardware Decoding: vaapi (vaapi-egl)”

I am not sure that means its transcoding (I wish the debug overlay would give CPU/Memory Information as well as clear Transcoding information) but the server is thinking its Direct Playing.

Also, the read ahead buffer never really gets anything in it.

More Logs Attached for those who are interested


#5

@wesman said:
@“Ach!lles” have you tested the NUC7i3 yet? After further testing, I can say that its stuttering on all high quality 1080P movies.

The overlay says “Hardware Decoding: vaapi (vaapi-egl)”

I am not sure that means its transcoding (I wish the debug overlay would give CPU/Memory Information as well as clear Transcoding information) but the server is thinking its Direct Playing.

Also, the read ahead buffer never really gets anything in it.

More Logs Attached for those who are interested

I just started testing it yesterday. I do not see any stuttering with typical BD sourced content. However 4K HEVC content stutters badly.


#6

@“Ach!lles” Added the nightly build 1.2.3.622-9c809060 and still seeing the issue with heavy stuttering. but its realated to the audio, have you tried the following?

I have narrowed the problem down to the Audio.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as playable formats” and the file has one of those types of tracks. it stutters badly. (See image 1 below)

IF i select a AC3 or DTS track, it works.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as NOT playable formats” and i have selected on of those files to play. it transcoded to PCM Stereo (see image 2)


#7

@wesman said:
@“Ach!lles” Added the nightly build 1.2.3.622-9c809060 and still seeing the issue with heavy stuttering. but its realated to the audio, have you tried the following?

I have narrowed the problem down to the Audio.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as playable formats” and the file has one of those types of tracks. it stutters badly. (See image 1 below)

IF i select a AC3 or DTS track, it works.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as NOT playable formats” and i have selected on of those files to play. it transcoded to PCM Stereo (see image 2)

Can I see what is in your mpv.conf if you have one?


#8

@Ach!lles said:
Can I see what is in your mpv.conf if you have one?

Do you mean the plexmediaplayer.conf? (attached)

I can't find a mpv.conf, where is that located?


#9

@wesman said:

@Ach!lles said:
Can I see what is in your mpv.conf if you have one?

Do you mean the plexmediaplayer.conf? (attached)

I can't find a mpv.conf, where is that located?

Same directory. If you don't see it, you don't have one.


#10

yeah, i just read that it's not created by default, since I didn't create one, there isn't one..

would this help? have you tested DTS MA 7.1?


#11

has anyone else confirmed issues with Plex Media Player 1.2.3-RC1 with DTS HD MA or TRUEHD?


#12

@Ach!lles said:

@wesman said:
@“Ach!lles” Added the nightly build 1.2.3.622-9c809060 and still seeing the issue with heavy stuttering. but its realated to the audio, have you tried the following?

I have narrowed the problem down to the Audio.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as playable formats” and the file has one of those types of tracks. it stutters badly. (See image 1 below)

IF i select a AC3 or DTS track, it works.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as NOT playable formats” and i have selected on of those files to play. it transcoded to PCM Stereo (see image 2)

Can I see what is in your mpv.conf if you have one?

@wesman Yes I see the same issue with PCM functioning erratically. This is because of that stupid Megachips LSPCon. Until Intel does something about this, Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake are drowning in the water for embedded.


#13

@Ach!lles said:

@Ach!lles said:

@wesman said:
@“Ach!lles” Added the nightly build 1.2.3.622-9c809060 and still seeing the issue with heavy stuttering. but its realated to the audio, have you tried the following?

I have narrowed the problem down to the Audio.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as playable formats” and the file has one of those types of tracks. it stutters badly. (See image 1 below)

IF i select a AC3 or DTS track, it works.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as NOT playable formats” and i have selected on of those files to play. it transcoded to PCM Stereo (see image 2)

Can I see what is in your mpv.conf if you have one?

@wesman Yes I see the same issue with PCM functioning erratically. This is because of that stupid Megachips LSPCon. Until Intel does something about this, Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake are drowning in the water for embedded.

I though the USB C Adaptor did not go through the LSPCon chip, is that not correct?


#14

@Ach!lles said:
@wesman Yes I see the same issue with PCM functioning erratically. This is because of that stupid Megachips LSPCon. Until Intel does something about this, Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake are drowning in the water for embedded.

Also, when I uncheck those as supported, it transcode the Audio to Stereo, that can't be the chip.


#15

@wesman said:

@Ach!lles said:

@Ach!lles said:

@wesman said:
@“Ach!lles” Added the nightly build 1.2.3.622-9c809060 and still seeing the issue with heavy stuttering. but its realated to the audio, have you tried the following?

I have narrowed the problem down to the Audio.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as playable formats” and the file has one of those types of tracks. it stutters badly. (See image 1 below)

IF i select a AC3 or DTS track, it works.

IF i have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD “selected as NOT playable formats” and i have selected on of those files to play. it transcoded to PCM Stereo (see image 2)

Can I see what is in your mpv.conf if you have one?

@wesman Yes I see the same issue with PCM functioning erratically. This is because of that stupid Megachips LSPCon. Until Intel does something about this, Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake are drowning in the water for embedded.

I though the USB C Adaptor did not go through the LSPCon chip, is that not correct?
I had tested with the built in HDMI port.


#16

@wesman said:

@Ach!lles said:
@wesman Yes I see the same issue with PCM functioning erratically. This is because of that stupid Megachips LSPCon. Until Intel does something about this, Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake are drowning in the water for embedded.

Also, when I uncheck those as supported, it transcode the Audio to Stereo, that can't be the chip.
I will give that a deeper look with and without the Club 3D adapter.


#17

@Ach!lles said:
I will give that a deeper look with and without the Club 3D adapter.

According to the Intel Posts the Club Adaptor does not use the LSPCon chip so, should not be affected by that.

Give it a shot, DTS HD MA, ATMOS, TRUEHD. All cause serious stuttering. and when transcoded, go to stereo


#18

@wesman said:

@Ach!lles said:
I will give that a deeper look with and without the Club 3D adapter.

According to the Intel Posts the Club Adaptor does not use the LSPCon chip so, should not be affected by that.

Give it a shot, DTS HD MA, ATMOS, TRUEHD. All cause serious stuttering. and when transcoded, go to stereo

We are flip flopping back and forth here. Which OS so that I can reproduce?


#19

@Ach!lles said:

Also, when I uncheck those as supported, it transcode the Audio to Stereo, that can't be the chip.
I will give that a deeper look with and without the Club 3D adapter.

"Club 3D adapter"? What is that?


#20

@KaraokeAmerica said:

@Ach!lles said:

Also, when I uncheck those as supported, it transcode the Audio to Stereo, that can't be the chip.
I will give that a deeper look with and without the Club 3D adapter.

"Club 3D adapter"? What is that?
A DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.