Trailers do not load when refreshing metadata

server-synology

I’m having problems getting trailers to load for new movies added to the Plex server. This have worked previously but not anymore. I have used the Plex Movie Agent to get the trailers, and yes, I have a valid Plex pass. If I open an old movie it will contain a trailer, but if I refresh the metadata the trailer disappears… can anybody help?
For info; I have tried clearing the caches for the plug-ins. This did not help.
Thanks in advance

Do you have the Local Media Assets agent enabled and sorted to the top of the list?

Do you have ‘Find trailers and extras automatically (Plex Pass required)’ enabled in the Plex Movie agent, under Plex Movie and The Movie Database?

If a movie has a trailer, there will be a Film Can icon displayed on the toolbar.

Hi trumpy81 and thank you for your answer.

Yes Local Assets agent is enabled and sorted to the top of the list
Yes “Find trailers and extras automatically (Plex Pass required)” enabled in the Plex Movie agent.
Yes I know where to find the trailers if they are available.

As I mentioned in my first post my setup have been working up until a couple of weeks ago. I have not changed any settings for the Plex server. Metadata is added automatically to new movies but trailers are not. If I open an movie added a long time ago I will find it with a trailer available, but if I refresh the metadata for that movie the trailer icon disappears. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this problem?

Wait… LMA needs to be at the top of the list?! Really?

Back to main topic… I too see this sometimes. I had some old movies (1970’s) and lost alot of my trailers when I refreshed all metadata. Kinda sucks…but oh-well.

@tafattsmekk said:

Yes “Find trailers and extras automatically (Plex Pass required)” enabled in the Plex Movie agent.

As I mentioned in my first post my setup have been working up until a couple of weeks ago. I have not changed any settings for the Plex server. Metadata is added automatically to new movies but trailers are not. If I open an movie added a long time ago I will find it with a trailer available, but if I refresh the metadata for that movie the trailer icon disappears. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this problem?

Thanks, I had to check if you had all bases covered or not and you clearly do, so that’s a relief.

The only thing I can tell you is to check the logs, but unfortunately, they will most likely not reveal anything you don’t already know.

If it’s any consolation, none of my most recent DVD releases have trailers attached yet, however my slightly older releases do have trailers, but I am not sure exactly when those trailers were attached, I did not check to see if they had trailers when I first added them.

Speaking to some other Ninjas, it would appear that trailers are eventually downloaded, but we have no timeframe of when the trailers appear.

Oddly, we compared a recent release that I have no trailers for (Refresh Metadata does not downlaod them either) and another Ninja added the same file and got trailers immediately, so the issue may be regional and possibly connected to data limiting by the online databases.

What does concern me is the fact that your older Movies lose the trailers when you Refresh Metadata.

If you could Refresh Metadata on an older Movie that has a trailer, and then grab your logs a minute later that would be great.

I don’t expect to find anything in your logs, but I need to verify that one way or the other.

@NewPlaza said:

Some trailers are treated as local assets and if you want to make sure they are used before anything else, then yes the LMA agent needs to be at the top of the list.

@trumpy81 said:

@NewPlaza said:

Some trailers are treated as local assets and if you want to make sure they are used before anything else, then yes the LMA agent needs to be at the top of the list.

Since when? Why would online trailers need LMA? That makes no sense. Are you talking about local trailers that people keep with the movie? I can see this but not online trailers.

@trumpy81 said:

@tafattsmekk said:

Thanks, I had to check if you had all bases covered or not and you clearly do, so that’s a relief.

The only thing I can tell you is to check the logs, but unfortunately, they will most likely not reveal anything you don’t already know.

If it’s any consolation, none of my most recent DVD releases have trailers attached yet, however my slightly older releases do have trailers, but I am not sure exactly when those trailers were attached, I did not check to see if they had trailers when I first added them.

Speaking to some other Ninjas, it would appear that trailers are eventually downloaded, but we have no timeframe of when the trailers appear.

Oddly, we compared a recent release that I have no trailers for (Refresh Metadata does not downlaod them either) and another Ninja added the same file and got trailers immediately, so the issue may be regional and possibly connected to data limiting by the online databases.

What does concern me is the fact that your older Movies lose the trailers when you Refresh Metadata.

If you could Refresh Metadata on an older Movie that has a trailer, and then grab your logs a minute later that would be great.

I don’t expect to find anything in your logs, but I need to verify that one way or the other.

I have attached the log files after refreshing the metadata from an old movie. The trailer disappeared from this movie also when refreshing the metadata :frowning:

The first thing I see in your logs is this:

Feb 08, 2018 22:32:00.813 [0xec40db40] WARN - SLOW QUERY: It took 330.000000 ms to retrieve 13 items.

That indicates some fragmentation in your database. You should:

1. Optimise Database
  2. Empty Trash
  3. Clean Bundles

In that order and wait for each step to complete before moving to the next step. It would not hurt to run them a couple of times.

For the Movie you ‘Refresh Metadata’ on, I can see Plex updating the extras and various other things, but I don’t see any mention of trailers at all. This is what I expected to see or rather, not see.

Feb 09, 2018 10:06:38.659 [0xeafffb40] DEBUG - Updating metadata item (save) (It: Facing Evil (Featurette)) with ID 25811

I would also recommend that you install and use FileBot to rename your files for you.

FileBot for Synology:
https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1802

Plex naming schemes for FileBot:

FileBot Introductory Videos:
http://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

Open Package Center > Settings > Package Sources and add this address: https://get.filebot.net/syno/ You will then be able to install FileBot on your NAS.

FileBot may also be installed on a PC/Mac/Linux machine.

Hi again trompy81. I tried the steps you suggested (Optimise database, empty trash and cean bundles) but this did not help.

I then tried reinstalling Plex server using your FAQ guide (Q7). This did not help either.

I then removed Plex server and deleted the plug-in caches before reinstalling Plex server. This fixed the problem. :smiley:

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.

Optimise database, empty trash and clean bundles was not meant to help with the trailer issue, it was meant to remove the fragmentation of your database and to help speed things up a little.

I did not tell you to delete the caches because you stated that you had already tried that.

No matter, the main thing is you have it working again and that is great news.

Happy Plexing! :slight_smile:

I see some of the suggestions about deleting the cache, which I have done. However, I get the same trailer not loading problem on metadata refresh on 3, that’s right, yes 3 plex servers that I have running and if the movie has a trailer then why is it disappearing??

FYI, If I quite plex, delete all my Caches under …/Plug-in Support, then restart Plex, then refresh all metadata on my library that contains 10 movies, Some movies get trailers and some don’t. The ones that had trailers don’t get them anymore and the ones that didn’t have any, not have them. It’s like the problem just flip-flopped. Ugh

The devs have a found an issue with trailers, I don’t know the details and I have no idea if/when a fix will be issued, but if I hear anything I will keep you posted.

@trumpy81 said:
The devs have a found an issue with trailers, I don’t know the details and I have no idea if/when a fix will be issued, but if I hear anything I will keep you posted.

Thank You

Hi, Is there any update for this issue? Or is there anywhere we can check the status? I am experiencing the same trailer metadata problems as detailed above, and have been for about a week now. I mistakenly did a full ‘Refresh All Metadata’ when the problem first started with just new movie additions, and now every movie in my library is missing its metadata trailer.

Yes, there is a fix now. Plex deployed a patch and I’m getting my trailers now. Follow this tread to the bottom. http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1614646#Comment_1614646

I don’t believe this has been fixed as yet. I still have missing trailers on one server, but not the other.

Refresh Metadata so far has not corrected the problem.

@trumpy81 Did you delete your Plex caches as explained here: https://support.plex.tv/articles/202967376-clearing-plugin-channel-agent-http-caches/
It was not until I did this that my trailers started coming back.

Yes I certainly did clear the caches and restarted the server.

It’s stange because one file did actually pull down the trailer, but the rest of my recent additions are still without trailers on the PC server. On my NAS server though, all of the recent additions have trailers and they were added when I first added the files.