Will HEIC image files be supported for image libraries?

Hello,

I currently use the image upload feature from my iPhone and Apple has switched to HEIC image files taken with the camera. These upload from the app (I see them on my server) but the Plex Web does not list them. Is this a planned feature addition and, if so, do you know when it might be added?

Thanks

This would be a great addition to Plex.

Second that. I love the plex photo sync feature but it appears to not fully work with HEIC. Strangely, the pictures show up as it’s syncing (I can see them in the photo library), but after it’s done syncing the pictures disappear.

Hopefully this is an easy upgrade bc the photos are originally viewable then post processing they disappear

Third that. I love the sync ability but since i’ve upgraded to IOS 11 none of our phone photos show in my Plex Library.

We are looking into this. For now, check out this post that covers the topic.

Is there any ETA on when will the feature become available?

@kinoCharlino said:
We are looking into this. For now, check out this post that covers the topic.

The link is not working.

That link is in our Plex Pass Members only section. Basically, we are working on it. We don’t provide ETA’s. When it is supported, it will be included in our release notes. For compatibility, do not use HEIF with Plex for now.

What Plex needs to do is give the option of uploading jpgs or heif format pictures. I know OneDrive can upload them as JPG’s even if you select in the Apple options to use the newer formats. For me I WANT HEVC for video, but would like the option to not upload HEIF and instead JPG, at least until more apps support it. Everyone supports HEVC though. Wish Apple would have split the option so people could select most compatible for just pictures and not both pictures and video.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
That link is in our Plex Pass Members only section. Basically, we are working on it. We don’t provide ETA’s. When it is supported, it will be included in our release notes. For compatibility, do not use HEIF with Plex for now.

Well isn’t this an arrogant answer. This certainly isn’t a customer-centric repsonse, or attitude. 3 months. That is how long iOS 11 has been out and I am sure iOS 11 was not a surprise to Plex as it was announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference 3 months before that. Unless, someone isn’t doing their job.

Since Plex doesn’t “provide ETA’s”, what does Plex think an acceptable time to wait is? “Basically”, Plex has been working on this for than 3-6 months. Whoever the “we” is should learn how to do their job. Unless maybe Plex isn’t actually working on it and they could give us more information like why they aren’t supporting it.

This is ridiculous, Plex, how can you expect your users to go backward in their technology to stay current with you? YOU created the upload feature, it’s incumbent on you to make it work! 3-6 months… I’d be fired if I took that long to do a core part of my job!

I dunno if anyone has noticed, but Plex is transcoding during the upload now. I clearly see the .heic extension when it goes by on the iPhone app, but on the server it’s a jpg. And my MOVs are AVC, not HEVC, which is a real shame.

@ccutrer said:
I dunno if anyone has noticed, but Plex is transcoding during the upload now. I clearly see the .heic extension when it goes by on the iPhone app, but on the server it’s a jpg. And my MOVs are AVC, not HEVC, which is a real shame.

Please read the post mentioned above, http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/288036/. It is not Plex doing the conversion.

Is HEIF still not supported in Plex?

Plex server still does not support it. Although I understand the difficulties, there are some some approaches to load the file and run it through a decoder. I just hope this is not a reverse engineer approach. Any news on this? Is this scheduled?

My camera upload stops with ~1800 photos out of 7100 still waiting, those are all the HEIC/HEVC formats. I’ve deleted library’s and started over and it just stops and says infinitely Waiting to continue upload, never finishes. Would sure be nice since I can’t easily convert these on my phone to get them to sync… I can turn on jpg support now but still left with a half baked solution. I thought my Plex pass would be worth it but…

+! for HEIC support.