Will the nvidia shield direct play when using synology 918+ as server and shield as client?

server-nvidia-shield

I am asking this question because i read all different things about transcoding. I want to use my synology 918+ as Plex server. The shield i want to use as a client. I want to play HD and 4K movies WITH subtitles (srt, vob or PGS) i read that when using subs in Plex the server always has to transcode. But my NAS cant handle this at this moment (now i am using a PS3 for client)
So i am wondering.. if i will buy a shield and use that as s client instead of my PS3. Will that work. And will i be able to direct play that content?
Thanks in advance

I don’t know the answer but if u buy a shield pro u can use that as your PMS

thanks for the answer spike, but the PRO is not for sale any longer and won’t come back. So that is not an option.
So i hope someone else does know the answer.

I have a Nvidia Shield with PMS running on a DS918+.

All of this direct plays:

• DVD rip: MKV container, MPEG2 video, AC3 audio, VOBSUB subtitles
  • Blu-ray rip: MKV container, 1080p H264 video, AC3 audio, PGS subtitles
  • Processed by Handbrake: MP4 container, 1080p/480p H264 video, AAC & AC3 audio, SRT subtitles (these are DVD & Blu-ray rips I’ve run through Handbrake)

Audio for above may also include PCM 2.0/5.1; AAC 2.0; AC3/EAC3 2.0 & 5.1; TrueHD 5.1/7.1; Atmos; dts 5.1; dts-HD MA 5.1/7.1; dts:X. My Denon receiver handles all the audio formats, so audio never transcodes.

I do not have any 4K videos with subtitles. I do have some demo files from LG, Sony, etc. They direct play.

• MP4 container, 4K, HEVC 8-bit, AAC/AC3 audio
  • MP4 container, 4k, HEVC 10-bit HDR 10, AAC/AC3 audio

WRT HDR, the Nvidia Shield is HDR10 only. The two or three Dolby Vision and HLG videos I tried would not play. The Plex client refused to play the videos and returned an error message (it was a few weeks ago, don’t remember exact message).

My setup:
Shield TV <-- HDMI–> Denon AVR-X4300H <–HDMI–> LG OLED55B7P
Plex client 6.16.0.4079 on Shield TV.
PMS 1.12.1.4885 on Synology DS918+, DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1

Hello Fordguy, thanks for your answer. All my video’s are in mkv container and H264. So i guess there will be no problems. Only question i have is with the srt subs… you say you have run those through handbrake, does that mean you have burned them in? Because if i burn them in in Handbrake the also work on my ps3. But i want to avoid to have them burned in. So can you tell me if the srt subs also direct play if you dont burn them in?
Thanks again for your answer.

SRTs in MP4: Not burned in. They are a separate track in the mp4, just like the audio & video tracks. Yes, they direct play.

Exception: Some movies have a separate subtitle track for foreign audio translation. Such as when the movie is in English, but a portion of the dialog is in another language. I do burn those in, so the translation appears on screen, just as when the the movie was in the theater. But when burned in, they’re part of the video and no longer SRT/PGS/VOBSUB subtitles, so no worries about them causing transcoding.

EDIT: My use of Handbrake/mp4/srt is mostly for a family member who uses iTunes and an AppleTV v3.

Here’s an example. Avatar has two subtitle tracks. The first is English. The second is an English translation of when the actors speak Na’vi. When using Handbrake, I burn in the Na’vi translation so it always appears on-screen. If I want the “regular” English subtitles (first track), I use Subtitle Edit to convert the PGS subtitles to SRT, then mux the SRT subtitles into the MP4 file.

The nice part about using Plex is that I no longer have to mess with Handbrake. I rip the disc using MakeMKV. Then use MKVToolNix to flag the Na’vi subtitle track as “forced” so it always displays. Done. Two steps. Takes maybe 45 minutes to rip the disc and 15 minutes in MKVToolNix. No hours of transcoding. No manually correcting spelling errors from SubTitle Edit. Just rip it & stream it.

The nice part about the Shield is that it Direct Plays everything in my library. No worries about unsupported codecs. The Denon receiver definitely helps with that too.

I might still transcode the movie with Handbrake for the family member with the ATV, but that’s optional. I don’t have to do it for every movie, like when I was using iTunes & AppleTV.

Thanks Ford Guy, i think i will give it a try with the shield than.

@FordGuy61 said:
I have a Nvidia Shield with PMS running on a DS918+.

All of this direct plays:

• DVD rip: MKV container, MPEG2 video, AC3 audio, VOBSUB subtitles
  • Blu-ray rip: MKV container, 1080p H264 video, AC3 audio, PGS subtitles
  • Processed by Handbrake: MP4 container, 1080p/480p H264 video, AAC & AC3 audio, SRT subtitles (these are DVD & Blu-ray rips I’ve run through Handbrake)

Audio for above may also include PCM 2.0/5.1; AAC 2.0; AC3/EAC3 2.0 & 5.1; TrueHD 5.1/7.1; Atmos; dts 5.1; dts-HD MA 5.1/7.1; dts:X. My Denon receiver handles all the audio formats, so audio never transcodes.

I do not have any 4K videos with subtitles. I do have some demo files from LG, Sony, etc. They direct play.

• MP4 container, 4K, HEVC 8-bit, AAC/AC3 audio
  • MP4 container, 4k, HEVC 10-bit HDR 10, AAC/AC3 audio

WRT HDR, the Nvidia Shield is HDR10 only. The two or three Dolby Vision and HLG videos I tried would not play. The Plex client refused to play the videos and returned an error message (it was a few weeks ago, don’t remember exact message).

My setup:
Shield TV <-- HDMI–> Denon AVR-X4300H <–HDMI–> LG OLED55B7P
Plex client 6.16.0.4079 on Shield TV.
PMS 1.12.1.4885 on Synology DS918+, DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1

I too run this combination. I concur with fordguy61 as this is also my experience.

Hi audiomixer, also thanks, still one more question.
I see that my 4K movies are in MKV container with the HEVC codec. Any idea of this also will work?
You have yours in MP4 container

@wangerooge said:
thanks for the answer spike, but the PRO is not for sale any longer and won’t come back. So that is not an option.
So i hope someone else does know the answer.

I haven’t heard that - what was the reason ?
Anyway Amazon has the pro !!

@spikemixture

See https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1035894/?comment=5284245

@wangerooge said:
Hi audiomixer, also thanks, still one more question.
I see that my 4K movies are in MKV container with the HEVC codec. Any idea of this also will work?
You have yours in MP4 container
So far, mp4 and mkv have been playing fine for me.

@FordGuy61 said:
@spikemixture

See https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1035894/?comment=5284245

Ok , I read that and from my understanding one nvidia support person said 4 months ago that the pro was end of life!
And the nvidia website does not have the pro for sale.

One would think Nvidia would make an announcement about this “end of life” product!!
But as a nvidia user I know things don’t move real fast there!

The nvidia site does have the pro for sale.

hee this is new, last week the didnt have it for sale. the will not ship to the netherlands so i cant buy there. but i think that must mean they started sale again and maybe will come to holland again also.

@audiomixer said:
The nvidia site does have the pro for sale.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shop/

And here there is no Pro - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/

There is here: nvidia.com/en-us/shield/

@johnm_ColaSC said:

Ok BUT

@spikemixture So you point back to the same URL that I was posting a reply to showing you it was available on the link I posted. Keep referring to your link if you want but I was able to add a Pro to my cart using the link I provided earlier.

@spikemixture said:

@johnm_ColaSC said:

Ok BUT
@spikemixture Yup, but if you hit the shop button, there it is and as shown by the post above me, you can add it you your cart. In other words, it’s available.