We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Thursday, June 22 (05:00 GMT, June 23). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/w98nwqyk43pv
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

OpenPHT for Odroid C2 - Information and Tips

NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,742 Plex Pass
edited June 2016 in OpenPHT

General Info

Install to SD card using GetRasplex, download the OpenPHT for Odroid .img.gz file (see release notes) and use 'Select image file', choose the file downloaded.

Refresh rate switches correctly with smooth video playback in 720p/1080p/2160p display modes.

Comprehensive HDMI CEC control.

8/10-bit 720p/1080p/2160p HEVC all playback perfectly.

Snappy, responsive OpenPHT device using Gigabit Ethernet.

Sensitive IR reciever on board (see below).

Custom program your own IR remote control for use with OpenPHT easily using Lirc.

Direct Plays virtually everything you throw at it apart from those codecs listed below.

• Interlaced Bluray Rips containing VC-1 content have stuttering playback. Normal VC-1 Movie Rips fine.
  • No VP9 decoding, will be transcoded by PMS.

Audio codec support:

• Passthrough of AC3/DD/DTS 5.1
  • Passthrough of Dolby True HD 5.1 and 7.1 / ATMOS
  • Passthrough of DTS-HD MA/HRA 5.1 and 7.1
  • Passthrough of DTS 96/24
  • No HDMI PCM 5.1/7.1 audio output is currently supported. PCM 2.0 is the only PCM output format available at the moment, selecting 'Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding' will give you AC3 5.1 output from AAC 5.1 media
  • Audio formats which can't be bitstreamed (FLAC, WAV/PCM, AAC etc.) will either be transcoded to lossy Dolby Digital 5.1, or folded down to a PCM 2.0 downmix.

There is no support currently for the Odroid HiFi Shield (DAC).

Do not expect all your existing external USB dongles like WiFi, BT, DAC's to work on an old AML S905 v3.14 linux kernel (HardKernel have a v4.x kernel in beta at the moment). A lot of them do work straight out of the box, and HardKernel do backport additional drivers from time to time. However, there are a number of more modern USB dongles that simply refuse to work due to no current kernel driver support.

The Rasplex Team does not provide comprehensive driver support for non working hardware, users will have to ask the manufacturer, HardKernel, themselves on the Odroid C2 forums

Tips

For SSH:

User: root, Password: openpht

Remote control using inbuilt IR:

MCE remotes should work 'out of the box'.

Any old RC6 remote can be made to work by using the instructions on the MSL Digital site for OpenELEC.

Other remotes can be accommodated by crafting a lircd.conf file and placing it in /storage/.config

Network connections:

Enable 'Wait for Network' in System Settings.

Other:

Keep Audio device alive should be OFF.

Turn off flashing blue light by creating an autostart.sh script with the following line in /storage/.config:

echo none > /sys/class/leds/blue:heartbeat/trigger 

Hyperion should work (untested at the moment), latest drivers included.

Comments

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 978 Plex Pass
    edited June 2016

Linking over from another thread.

@NedtheNerd said:
    OpenVPN works same as Rasplex, no 12bit support at the moment, I'm having difficulty finding decent HEVC test clips of any description. At the moment for 40Mbps HEVC, needs a lot of caching, trying to find optimum settings at the moment.
    Regards

Do you have the eMMC Module? I'm thinking with all that caching, the extra speed would be a boon.

Also, do you need something with heavier a bitrate than the Kodi samples page offers?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,742 Plex Pass

Not at the moment, might give one a try.

Regards

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 22,024 Plex Ninja

This is really cool,
    great work, guys!

@benjaminwolf said:
    Also, do you need something with heavier a bitrate than the Kodi samples page offers?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

Thanks, some of those are a bit short, I prefer something that plays for at least 15 minutes, have started ripping some of my BD's with different audio/video codecs, bit depth and bitrates, at least I only need to rip 15 minutes so it doesn't take long.

I really like to push the envelope when testing releases, the Odroid is an amazing piece of kit for Plex (but then so is the RP2/3).

Regards

• benaddersonbenadderson Members, Plex Pass Posts: 110 Plex Pass

This sounds really interesting, a substantial upgrade on the capabilities of the Pi. Great work on getting this new platform supported!

Is there a document/web page anywhere you can point me to that enumerates the specs & container/codec support for each device? It would be really interesting to see the side-by-side comparison! Obviously I've tried googling it, but haven't managed to find anything as yet.

I just ordered an Odroid with the 8GB eMMC module. Looking forward to testing it out with the 1080p HEVC content. ^_^

• kudos69kudos69 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 66 Plex Pass

This looks really interesting, just not really understanding how the Odroid works. If you load OpenPHT onto the SD card (like the Rpi) and also have the eMMC module with linux/android pre-installed, which does it boot off ? Bit confused......

• NuLLnVoiDNuLLnVoiD Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    edited June 2016

I ordered 2x Odroid C2's a week ago before realizing there was no easy way to get PHT working on them without building from source. (wanted them for 1080p HVEC playback) So thank you for answering my prayers! Haha! :D

• evloevlo Members Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just curious - UI is in 2160p or 1080p?

• robinkoolirobinkooli Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Thanks for doing this!

@kudos69 said:
    This looks really interesting, just not really understanding how the Odroid works. If you load OpenPHT onto the SD card (like the Rpi) and also have the eMMC module with linux/android pre-installed, which does it boot off ? Bit confused......

The eMMC is an image-able chip. You should be able to load the Rasplex/OpenPHT onto the eMMC module just like a MicroSDHC card. I will confirm if it's worth the extra money once the parts arrive.

edited July 2016

OpenPHT will not run from an eMMC.

Regards

• bigcanarybigcanary Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

Absolutely brilliant, thanks. Can now run my PMS on a Raspberry Pi 3 with attached USB hard drive as the Odroid direct plays everything including my 1080p HEVC 10bit movies. Total cost of whole system - $200 a for 3Tb Server and client!

• shaddow825shaddow825 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass

Are you going to implement the 3d MVC half rez stuff that it looks the odroid c2 supports?
    https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blob/odroidc2-3.14.y/drivers/amlogic/amports/vh264mvc.c

• BeckiBecki Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

hi! is openpht for odroid openelec or debian?
    want to install openpht on a odroid parallel to openmediavault which is debian. this would be a server/client setup

Uses LibreELEC as its OS.

Regards

Regards

• BeckiBecki Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

what a pity :(
    thank you

edited July 2016

@benjaminwolf said:

@kudos69 said:

The eMMC is an image-able chip. You should be able to load the Rasplex/OpenPHT onto the eMMC module just like a MicroSDHC card. I will confirm if it's worth the extra money once the parts arrive.

@NedtheNerd said:
    It will always boot of the eMMC first, unless you modify the boot.

For OpenPHT this is no point buying an eMMC, add nothing really, save your money!

If you've already bought one then flash OpenPHT for Odroid onto it, same as you would for an SD card.

Regards

Just received my unit today. OpenPHT 1.6.2 will currently NOT run on the eMMC chip. It will flash and unpack, but will not boot. It just hangs with # in the commandline. So a total waste of money at this time if you're using it for OpenPHT.

MicroSD card works great though. ^_^

@NedtheNerd

I do see one issue with the oDroid C2 OpenPHT version with DTS-HD 7.1 audio. If you don't have passthrough capability enabled, caching happens a lot. I had the same problem running the Windows version, but I was able to get rid of the caching by enabling local DTS-HD 7.1 transcoding in the Audio Preferences. I don't see that option available for the oDroid version.

Will local DTS-HD transcoding be available in the future?

edited July 2016

It's available now, check the 'Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding' in Audio Output.

You will need to have this enabled if you have any AAC5.1 content as there is no 5.1 LPCM at the moment.

Regards

• shaddow825shaddow825 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 29 Plex Pass

@benjaminwolf said:

@benjaminwolf said:

@kudos69 said:

@NedtheNerd said:
    It will always boot of the eMMC first, unless you modify the boot.

For OpenPHT this is no point buying an eMMC, add nothing really, save your money!

If you've already bought one then flash OpenPHT for Odroid onto it, same as you would for an SD card.

Regards

Just received my unit today. OpenPHT will NOT run on the eMMC chip. It will flash and unpack, but will not boot. It just hangs with # in the commandline. So a total waste of money at this time if you're using it for OpenPHT.

MicroSD card works great though. ^_^

Interesting. I debated over eMMC vs SD card and went SD card since a guy at work had an extra one I could use. The C2 should be here in a few days. I was worried about what I'd miss out on, guess just missing out on not booting. I'm sure it's something simple tho since it's based on libreelec and that works fine. Prob just need for the devs to get an eMMC and work it out or get some logs.