Auto-resolution support with NVIDIA Shield TV Experience 6.0 (e.g. disable upscaling to 4K)?

server-nvidia-shield

Old threads talk about the Shield TV limitation that all video is upscaled. Looks like NVIDIA recently added support for application controlled auto resolution although there are reportedly issues with lack of colorspace switching.

Does the Plex client on the Shield support outputting content at it's native resolution yet? If not; when?

Background threads on the topic:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/247098/is-the-nvidia-shield-tv-using-plex-able-to-upscale-to-4k-uhd-or-will-it-use-pass-through

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025430/shield-experience-upgrade-6-0-for-shield-tv/

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/1060

Plex on the Shield won't do this currently.

Kodi has recently been updated to support this. If you set the output to 1080p SDR it'll automatically play 4k HDR and go back to 1080p SDR once it has stopped playing. It doesn't work vice versa. So it's definitely possible.

Currently when you set the shield to output 1080p SDR Plex just outputs to 1080p HDR rather than flipping the resolution up when you play a 4k HDR file.

When direct playing, the Plex always outputs the native resolution of the file. Unless transcoding, then the output will depend on the output quality maxing out at 1080p, since the transcoder cannot output 4k. The Shield then scales the image to match what it is connected to. I'm not sure what new ability 6.0 provides, but nothing has been added to the Plex app.

Hopefully Plex will address this gap soon; Shield TV is a great Plex player for most reasons but unavoidable upscaling is unfortunate.

Old thread but hope to see resolution switching at some point

Definitely needed!

@"MovieFan.Plex" - when playing, if Plex detects that the output resolution (say 1080p) is less than the file resolution (e.g. 4K) couldn't it then check to see if the platform supports resolution switching and then attempt it? If the resolution switch fails, it could then fall back to transcoding.

@DavidAndAndrea said:
Definitely needed!

@"MovieFan.Plex" - when playing, if Plex detects that the output resolution (say 1080p) is less than the file resolution (e.g. 4K) couldn't it then check to see if the platform supports resolution switching and then attempt it? If the resolution switch fails, it could then fall back to transcoding.

That is not resolution switching. If you have a 1080p TV and a 4K video file, the Shield will downscale to video to 1080p, no need for PMS to transcode. Resolution switching is to force the output resolution so that the TV can do any scaling.

I'm not sure you understand the scenario ...

The Shield defaults to 4K output, upscaling 1080i/p video output automatically. Unfortunately it usually does a poor job compared to any attached TV's own upscaling.

So many Shield users fix their Shield to output at 1080. This makes 1080i/p content look much better on the attached TV.

But for a 4K file, as you say the Shield will downscale it. But it needn't - Plex could use the resolution switching API to put the Shield in 4K mode and switch it back afterwards.

@DavidAndAndrea said:
I'm not sure you understand the scenario ...

Ah sorry. I thought you were describing being connected to a 1080p TV. What you described just above is the appropriate use for that feature. The devs are aware of the request, I just have no news to share.

Cool, thanks for confirming.

Glad to hear it is on their radar.