Buffering issue - network not fast enough

android-tv
fire-tv

Hello,

I have Plex server v1.12.1.4885-1046ba85f running on a Synology DS213j NAS connected to the Plex client v6.14.1 on an NVIDIA Shield TV. For some videos, the playback pauses every few seconds and I get a message from the Plex client that the network is not fast enough to stream the video. I'm using Direct Play (no transcoding). The network is Gigabit Ethernet from the server to the client. I can play the same file on the Shield perfectly using VLC Player (via SMB share to the NAS) instead of the Plex client, so the problem is clearly not the network speed. Plex was working fine with these same video files before, so something must have changed in one of the automatic updates to either the server or client.

Anyone else having this issue? I also noticed that there's a new information overlay saying that "ExoPlayer v2" is being used; this message was not present in older versions (which worked fine).

Would appreciate any insights. As it stands, Plex is now unusable for me.

Thanks!

I’m having the same issue with all of my Amazon fire devices (FireStick v2, FireTv v1, Fire TV 4K), but the same media plays fine via other clients (Samsung TV app, Windows app, web app, iPhone). It appears to be an issue specific to the client running on the Fire for me.

Server (Windows 10) - 1.12.1.4885
Client - 6.14.1.3753 (334c1e28)

Exactly the same issue as perrypdx and niuoras. Only way around it that I can find is to use the settings on the Fire TV client to lower the resolution and force a transcode, then it plays back fine. Is odd as I’m on 1Gbs cabled network and my laptop works fine on direct play with full HD from the garage over flaky WiFi

I have the same issue, only when transcoding, direct play works great.

I explained In detail here , post 192

I ended up trying Emby, an open-source media server with clients available for multiple platforms - just like Plex. The overall experience is very similar to Plex, and most importantly, it doesn’t have the issue described above. It also doesn’t have another issue whereby Plex sometimes forces transcoding when subtitles are enabled even for text-based subtitles when Burn Only Image Formats is selected.

I’ll stick with Emby for now…

I’m having the same issue on all my fire devices. Only way I’ve been able to get things to play is to restart the fire. Sucks!

@niuoras said:
Hello,

I have Plex server v1.12.1.4885-1046ba85f running on a Synology DS213j NAS connected to the Plex client v6.14.1 on an NVIDIA Shield TV. For some videos, the playback pauses every few seconds and I get a message from the Plex client that the network is not fast enough to stream the video. I’m using Direct Play (no transcoding). The network is Gigabit Ethernet from the server to the client. I can play the same file on the Shield perfectly using VLC Player (via SMB share to the NAS) instead of the Plex client, so the problem is clearly not the network speed. Plex was working fine with these same video files before, so something must have changed in one of the automatic updates to either the server or client.

Anyone else having this issue? I also noticed that there’s a new information overlay saying that “ExoPlayer v2” is being used; this message was not present in older versions (which worked fine).

Would appreciate any insights. As it stands, Plex is now unusable for me.

Thanks!

I’ve got the exact same issue as you. The same videos have worked great for years via Plex client on my PC to the Nvidia Shield TV but recently (maybe a few months ago?) the same files have gone through the same issues. Buffering/pause every few seconds with the “network is not fast enough” message. I’ve checked my network speed on the Shield TV and its around 90mbps so there is no problem there. The file is using Direct Play, so no transcoding. Also, when I play the same file via Kodi it works just fine and without buffering. Again, same files worked without a hitch up until a few months ago so it must have been an update on the client or server side of Plex.

I am about ready to try Emby. This has been going on for more than a month with no update to it. I can barely watch on my android tvs unless I cast from my android phone to the TV. That seems so backwards. I can’t get the network speed running over gigabyte lan but I can get it from my wireless phone and cast it to the TV. Plex better get this fixed because soon I will be leaving and not recommending them to anyone.

Before going through all of the effort to switch to Emby you should just downgrade your client to 6.12, which is before ExoPlayer v2 and doesn’t have any of the problems.

@rwoffice said:
Before going through all of the effort to switch to Emby you should just downgrade your client to 6.12, which is before ExoPlayer v2 and doesn’t have any of the problems.

Do you have any info on how to downgrade or download the 6.12 version?

@seansed said:

Search the forum for “sideload” and “6.12” and there should be several references to people doing it. The 6.12 APKs can be found here:

FWIW, somebody mentioned it was easiest to make a tinyurl directly to the APK for typing into your sideload app.

@rwoffice said:

@seansed said:

Search the forum for “sideload” and “6.12” and there should be several references to people doing it. The 6.12 APKs can be found here:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1595016/#Comment_1595016

FWIW, somebody mentioned it was easiest to make a tinyurl directly to the APK for typing into your sideload app.

So I was able to downgrade to 6.12 and that absolutely fixed the problem! Thanks!

do you have to uninstall the current version to do this?

@seansed said:
So I was able to downgrade to 6.12 and that absolutely fixed the problem! Thanks!

Nice, glad to hear it helped :slight_smile:

@grangerm said:

Not sure if it’s required but I did just in case. After uninstalling, I sideloaded the 6.12 and turned off auto updates in Google Play store.

@seansed said:

@grangerm said:

Not sure if it’s required but I did just in case. After uninstalling, I sideloaded the 6.12 and turned off auto updates in Google Play store.

Ok I did the same and it seems to be working for me. The only problem is that on one of the TV’s the sound keeps fluctuating without from really loud to really quiet while using plex. I didn’t restart plex to fix it but I will keep an eye on it. It was just strange because this never happened before and doesn’t happen on the other tv. I will continue to monitor it though and come back to the forum if it continues.

I have the same issue. Everything worked great again when I removed updates from the Shield. I auto updates however. Same thing for both of my MI boxes with android TV with the new client. No direct play.

I can confirm the same behaviour with repeatable results: uninstalling Plex app updates on the Shield (2016), playback is perfect with no ‘connection is too slow’ errors; update the app and the playback problems return.

Same results using current stable and beta server versions.

The issu seems to be linked to the new exoplayer which was introduced in 6.13.

So what is the temporary fix? Do we download and sideload the 6.12 client? Does that work properly with the live TV? Do we uninstall the update and then turn off auto update apps. (Which is a pain monitoring every app update.)