Camera upload is stuck on "waiting to upload"

server-windows

Hello,

I am using an iPhone8 to upload photos to my server, it had worked in the past but for some reason for the last month or so it stays on the waiting to upload, i have tried reseting it, turning upload on and off, changing destination folders, and tried manual with no luck. Any suggestions?

Logs should help

Enable debug logging on the server
and take a photo on the iPhone
Then open the iOS app and select settings / camera upload
If it does not start scanning the phone looking for new photos to upload, take a screenshot and then settings / Help & Support / Debugging / Share Debugging Data
and email the zipped logs to your mailbox

Get the server logs
and attach all logs and screenshot here

See
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs

I have the same issue. In fact, when I first configured the Camera Upload, it worked, and began uploading my photos. It uploaded approximately 40 out of 400 photos, and then I received a “Waiting on server” response. Ever since, despite resetting or reconfiguring the Camera Upload option, I am unable to get it to work again.

I notice if I turn the feature off and back on, it seems to communicate, “Gathering information”, “Looking for new media to upload”, then “Preparing to upload”, and finally “Waiting to upload”. I have attached the logs below.

I’m having issues getting the documents off my phone but here is the logs from the server side

@DASHIP said:
I have the same issue. In fact, when I first configured the Camera Upload, it worked, and began uploading my photos. It uploaded approximately 40 out of 400 photos, and then I received a “Waiting on server” response. Ever since, despite resetting or reconfiguring the Camera Upload option, I am unable to get it to work again.

I notice if I turn the feature off and back on, it seems to communicate, “Gathering information”, “Looking for new media to upload”, then “Preparing to upload”, and finally “Waiting to upload”. I have attached the logs below.

Thanks for the logs. I can see an upload attempt at 12:27:40 for 2013-09-12 10.57.01.JPG which was partially uploaded before and some error was received from the server when attempted to resume

With all issues where you have communication between two applications, one needs to see both sides

If you can easily reproduce, please enable logging on the server
In Plex Web, Settings -> Server - > General -> Show Advanced
and please for this issue enable both verbose logging and debug logging
Save changes
Restart the server to get fresh logs created

Reproduce the problem
Get a screenshot of the iOS app error showing when it was displayed
Capture the iOS logs zip as before
and the server logs zip - see https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

and attach all here

Then you can disable verbose logging on the server - leaving just debug logging (the default)

@“Drake Irwin” said:
I’m having issues getting the documents off my phone but here is the logs from the server side

Oct 27, 2017 12:05:07.512 [1156] ERROR - Error creating directory M:\PHOTO COLLECTION: boost::filesystem::create_directories: The system cannot find the path specified: "M:\"

@sa2000 said:

@“Drake Irwin” said:

Oct 27, 2017 12:05:07.512 [1156] ERROR - Error creating directory M:\PHOTO COLLECTION: boost::filesystem::create_directories: The system cannot find the path specified: "M:\"

so it needs a new place to store the photos?

@“Drake Irwin” said:

@sa2000 said:

@“Drake Irwin” said:

so it needs a new place to store the photos?

You must have specified a path of M:\PHOTO COLLECTION for the library camera uploads and the error is indicating that Plex Media Server cannot access the M:\ Drive

Is this a network share ?
Is the drive mapped before Plex Media Server launches?
Are you perhaps running Plex Media Server.exe as a Windows Service ? in which case network drives cannot be used

I was able to reboot my NAS over the weekend, and then recreate the issue today. I have attached both the server and iPhone client logs. I am not sure why the server logs are so large, unless that is normal.

@DASHIP said:
I was able to reboot my NAS over the weekend, and then recreate the issue today. I have attached both the server and iPhone client logs. I am not sure why the server logs are so large, unless that is normal.

Thank you for the logs. The problem appears to be to do with resuming a partially uploaded camera file and there looks like an error with the continuation

I will refer this to the development team.

@DASHIP said:

Could you look in the temp directory path for directory named plex and with upload directory below
and see if you have any files referencing 2013-09-12 10.57.01.JPG
If you find any, please copy the file out and zip the file and send it to me by Private Message and let me have the exact filename and path where you found it

I was able to locate the Upload folder on my QNAP NAS. Please see below for the directory structure and contents. I have sent you a copy of the .JPG image file separately, although I did not note any error in the file itself, and am able to view the file without any problems.

Thank you - need to compare the actual image file size with what is in this directory which has size of 2547041 for the file 2013-09-12 10.57.01.JPG

The forum changes file size when attached - so send me the image through upload to dropbox or similar service and send me PM with link

I sent you a share link to the file. Let me know if you have any problems downloading it.

Thank you very much - got it and the directory listing snapshot and photo added to the issue I have raised with development

At some point when you don’t want to wait any more - you could zap the files in the temp sub-directory and the upload should start from beginning

The issue here is that we have a partial upload temp file that is actually full file size and there is an issue with how that gets handled to resume to upload the remainder !

Would you happen to have any ios or Plex media server logs for 17th October 16:10 onwards?

May be there was an error when attempting to move the uploaded files from the temp area to the target library path location?

Did you have perhaps run out of space ? Just guessing

Probably the other files in that temp directory are also full-size complete upload files.
After upload the file would get moved from temp to destination directory

A question about deleting the remaining files in the upload directory before retrying: Should I only delete the *.JPG image files in the existing folder, or should I delete the parent folder(s) as well? If you would like to delete parent folders as well, which ones? (/10961872/8E6FE6A9-CE27-4030-8144-18FCDA47284D/5) In other words, would the server recreate the folders or not, and would that be a bad or good thing in terms of retrying from scratch?

A couple answers to your questions:

• I did not run out of space. I have roughly 800G available on that volume.
  • Error moving the files?: I know that the system downloaded approximately 30 pictures from my iPhone before failing. Since there are only 12 remaining in the temporary upload folder, it was able to move something like 18 other files before failing. Therefore I do not believe there was an issue with respect to moving files that somehow occurred after the first files were moved.
  • Plex Media Server logs from 10/17: I don’t have any separately saved PMS logs, other than the one I already sent. I am unsure if the log file is recreated when restarting PMS or not. If the file I sent doesn’t include the historical records you are looking for, I suspect I won’t have them unless you can tell me how to find them.

I went ahead and deleted just the *.JPG files in the existing upload folder. As soon as I deleted the files, I went back to the iPhone client and clicked on the Camera Upload option. To my amazement, it immediately resumed, checked which files were already uploaded, and began uploading pictures again.

The upload began at 32 out of 400. Initially, the upload speed was quick, and images were being uploaded one after the other. During this time, I checked the temporary upload folder, and there were no .JPG images listed inside the folder. Apparently, they were being moved to the destination folder immediately.

However, after about ten images had been transferred, the rate of upload began to slow. At this point, when I checked the temporary folder, I noticed that there were now .JPG files in the folder which weren’t being moved out after upload. In addition, I noticed that there was one file in the folder with a .inProgress extension, indicating an incomplete file that was still being downloaded.

This condition continued until there were 12 files in the Upload folder. This is the same number of files as in the previous failure. The iPhone Plex client indicated 11% complete in transferring the 12th file, and the file name on the NAS shows .inProgress. However, when I checked the destination folder (a Photos shared folder), I found that all twelve of the files had actually been copied, and were complete, including the twelfth file.

At this point, the upload failed again, and the client displayed “Waiting for Server”. Therefore, I wonder if the issue is related to deleting the temporary file after copying it to the destination folder, and/or perhaps renaming the .inProgress file.

Here is a directory listing of the upload folder:

I have attached the iPhone client and Plex Server logs.

After about 15 minutes, I went back to the upload folder to check the file name to see if the twelfth file still had .inProgress appended to it. In fact, it had been renamed, and no longer had .inProgress appended to the end. Perhaps the process handling the files has an issue.

At this point, I went ahead and deleted the .JPG files again, turned Camera Upload off on the iPhone client, and then back on again. The iPhone client began uploading images again, as before. However, this time it was only able to upload a single file, and I noticed that it got to 100% complete, and then indicated it was going to upload the same file again. At that point, it failed as noted above. The file name still had .inProgress appended, but the file had been copied to the destination folder.

Thank you.

The logs are showing repeated database lock errors - I am not sure at this stage if that was a factor

Could you tell me what time was the list directory done in the screenshot you attached
I can see errors on these files but the directory listing only has file for the 2nd
2013-09-12 10.57.21.JPG and 2013-12-07 15.34.21.JPG
Errors on 2013-09-12 10.57.21.JPG at 09:09:56 and 11:26:44
Error on 2013-12-07 15.34.21.JPG at 11:58:10

Also could you check on the iphone if the JPG with timestamp 2013-12-07 15:34:21 is just one or there is a burst of multiple images at same second giving same timestamp filename

Also would like to try again with the library automatic scan disabled - so that it does not kick in whilst uploads are in progress
So try to see if this makes a difference
Settings / Server / Library / Update my Library Automatically Untick this and save changes
and then clear the temp files and resume the uploads

If still results in errors, please capture logs again and list directory