I went ahead and deleted just the *.JPG files in the existing upload folder. As soon as I deleted the files, I went back to the iPhone client and clicked on the Camera Upload option. To my amazement, it immediately resumed, checked which files were already uploaded, and began uploading pictures again.
The upload began at 32 out of 400. Initially, the upload speed was quick, and images were being uploaded one after the other. During this time, I checked the temporary upload folder, and there were no .JPG images listed inside the folder. Apparently, they were being moved to the destination folder immediately.
However, after about ten images had been transferred, the rate of upload began to slow. At this point, when I checked the temporary folder, I noticed that there were now .JPG files in the folder which weren’t being moved out after upload. In addition, I noticed that there was one file in the folder with a .inProgress extension, indicating an incomplete file that was still being downloaded.
This condition continued until there were 12 files in the Upload folder. This is the same number of files as in the previous failure. The iPhone Plex client indicated 11% complete in transferring the 12th file, and the file name on the NAS shows .inProgress. However, when I checked the destination folder (a Photos shared folder), I found that all twelve of the files had actually been copied, and were complete, including the twelfth file.
At this point, the upload failed again, and the client displayed “Waiting for Server”. Therefore, I wonder if the issue is related to deleting the temporary file after copying it to the destination folder, and/or perhaps renaming the .inProgress file.
Here is a directory listing of the upload folder:
I have attached the iPhone client and Plex Server logs.
After about 15 minutes, I went back to the upload folder to check the file name to see if the twelfth file still had .inProgress appended to it. In fact, it had been renamed, and no longer had .inProgress appended to the end. Perhaps the process handling the files has an issue.
At this point, I went ahead and deleted the .JPG files again, turned Camera Upload off on the iPhone client, and then back on again. The iPhone client began uploading images again, as before. However, this time it was only able to upload a single file, and I noticed that it got to 100% complete, and then indicated it was going to upload the same file again. At that point, it failed as noted above. The file name still had .inProgress appended, but the file had been copied to the destination folder.