Just chiming in to say that initially, 2.4.1 didn’t seem to improve the buffering situation, 1080p H265 content has always been its achilles heel since the major update (as I imagine 4K content would as well) - I reviewed my settings and noticed that I must have disabled direct play in the client some time ago due to earlier issues, re-enabling direct play seems to finally give solid performance on videos that previously had problems. Hopefully this helps some people that might be in the same boat.
Dang, I just don’t get it. I’m not seeing any improvement on the 1080 content I have. Granted, it’s different…1080 DVR’d (I think H264), but this is starting to get on my nerves. It used to be tolerable if I switched to force transcode, but now both transcode and direct play are excruciatingly slow.
Out of curiosity, what’s your network connection, Xbox version, and hard drive for PMS and cache? I’ve got wired Gigabit so I can’t imagine that’s the issue. Xbox is original, so that could be an issue. And PMS and buffer/cache are on four, 10 TB, 7200 RPM drives in a Win10 Managed Storage Space. I’m starting to think I need to add a stand alone SSD just to handle the PMS and buffer/cache.
I think we’re talking about slightly different setups but let’s see if I can help - I have an original XB1, my server (running latest public PMS version) and NAS are both wired, but the XB1 is not - I think having a wired client is an unrealistic expectation in all cases, maybe that’s just me though!
I do use Plex DVR, but rely on MCEBuddy/comskip to pass everything into an MKV container and significantly cut down on the file size in the process. I had lots of problems with the recordings as raw TS files in the XB1 client which is why I went that route, comskip aside.
1080p H265 encodes (unrelated to the DVR) have been problematic since the launch of the new XB1 app, but it’s hard to say how long ago enabling direct play would have helped my situation, since I’m sure it’s been that way since almost the beginning. I always favor direct play whenever possible, so I must have had it disabled for some reason going back to almost the beginning.