Server: Synology DS920+ DSM 6
Plex server version: 1.24.0.4930, originally installed via package manager, updated by installing from .spk file when new version is released.
Player: Plex for Windows v 1.33.0.2444-a220eae4
I have multiple video libraries. One of them is for original movies, and one is for movies that have a bonus joke commentary track for them. In my specific case, the video in the standard video library is SD, an .avi running at 640x352. The video in the joke library is 720p, an .mkv file running at 720x1280. I stopped running the joke video to do something. When I came back to watch it, I found the file in my “continue watching” section at the top of the home screen in Plex-for-windows.
Somehow though, the video it played is the lower definition video in the base movie library, not the one with the gag soundtrack. Since these two movies are separate entries in separate libraries, I’d have figured that Plex would keep track of WHICH version in WHICH library I was watching, and resume that version when I resume from Home. Instead, it appears to pick the first copy of the video in a different library and plays that.
The “Continue Watching” section in the joke-track library’s “recommended” tab does show I am party-way through the video, and this one plays the proper version of the movie.
I do not believe this should be intended behavior. It appears to select the first version of a video, regardless of the version originally played. While my case may be highly unique, I can see this being an issue for people that may create multiple libraries in various definitions, and be annoyed to find Plex defaulting to a lower definition file when the video is resumed.
Speculation: Plex selects the first video that matches the movie ID based on one of several possible criteria:
-Version of file in library added to server based on version in “first added” library that contains the file.
-Version in first library server finds, based on alphabet spelling of library. My joke library comes alphabetically later than the base movie library.
-Version in first library, based on order of pinned-to-sidebar order. In my case, the joke library is further down than the regular movie library.