Control RasPlex over network?

rasplex

Hey folks,

I have a number of RasPlex's setup around the house and 2 in remote locations. The 2 in remote locations are used by my Father and my Monster-in-Law. They are not the most tech-savvy people on the planet and struggle with the basics of RasPlex especially as they only use it occasionally.

With this in mind I was wondering if there was a way to control these boxes remotely? I have setup Dynamic DNS and can access them via SSH but was hoping there would be a way to control them via the GUI remotely, something like VNC possibly?

There's a command named xbmc-send so send gui commands through cli
for example you can send
xbmc-send --action="Enter"
xbmc-send --action="Escape"
xbmc-send --action="Up"

etc
you can check all the possible commands in keymap.xml, you can even tell it to go to a specific menu

That will certainly do the trick for now. VNC server would be nice though :)

I dont understand what you are trying to do, a VNC server is really not needed

if you want a GUI you can use the original plex app and use the cast feature so it works as a remote, plus I remember that there were some other apps that worked as a remote and a web app that I think that used xbmc-send to send commands to the player

@videotecaCNSU said:
I dont understand what you are trying to do, a VNC server is really not needed

if you want a GUI you can use the original plex app and use the cast feature so it works as a remote, plus I remember that there were some other apps that worked as a remote and a web app that I think that used xbmc-send to send commands to the player

But to be able to use the plex app on your phone you'd have to be on the same network as rasplex, right? So he could VPN into his father#s network then pley/cast from his phone using the plex app?

@ovizii said:

But to be able to use the plex app on your phone you'd have to be on the same network as rasplex, right? So he could VPN into his father#s network then pley/cast from his phone using the plex app?

Yes, a vpn should do the trick or you can vnc to a pc in that network from where you run the client itself. Even from the web player you can control it