[Feature request]Please let me turn off normalisation & crossfade!

I love that Plexamp has gapless playback right out the gate, but it failed my usual gapless test: The transition from Parabol to Parabola on Tool's Lateralus album. Parabola, the latter of the two songs is a lot harder than Parabol but normalisation turns it down to the same level as Parabol, thus completely ruining the transition. Please oh please let users decide if we want normalisation or not, thank you.

Noted, thanks!

Oh and PLEASE let us turn off the crossfade as well!

For this playlist, the crossfade is bugging me more than the normalisation and that’s saying A LOT:

Holy mother of… Crossfade completely ruins the experience here. :s

I didn’t think it even used the crossfade if just playing straight through an album…?

I can’t seem to move/relocate the widget, it’s just stuck in the middle of my screen?

@Sorensiim said:

I assume that was a fade across track from different albums, right?

(But noted!)

@elan said:

@Sorensiim said:

I assume that was a fade across track from different albums, right?

(But noted!)

This glaring example was going from Frühling In Paris to Wiener Blut. Same album, but they’re not in that order on the album. Crossfade ruins the ending of one AND the intro of the other.

There’s a time and place for crossfade and normalisation, but we really need to be able to switch them off :slight_smile:

@HappyPig0 said:
I can’t seem to move/relocate the widget, it’s just stuck in the middle of my screen?

On the matter of normalization:
Please just implement ReplayGain support and especially the option for album gain, which leaves the loudness between the tracks of an album intact. (not sure if this would have to be a server-side feature though)

@thetysos said:
Please just implement ReplayGain support and especially the option for album gain, which leaves the loudness between the tracks of an album intact. (not sure if this would have to be a server-side feature though)

That’s … essentially what we’ve done :wink:

Interesting, then I was too quick to judge. Nice!

I did now a side by side test with the songs @Sorensiim did already, comparing foobar2000 to PlexAmp and they subjectively match the loudness. I’m wondering what’s his problem might be, not having RG tags? Then the question comes to mind how you enabled RG? Especially for people that have files without the tags. Is it the loudness info you generate server-side when adding tracks to the library? Is is a different implementation than RG?

@thetysos said:
I’m wondering what’s his problem might be, not having RG tags? Then the question comes to mind how you enabled RG? Especially for people that have files without the tags.

We analyze and store the data in our library, and then pass that to players in a few different ways, without modifying the original files (which goes against our philosophy).

@HappyPig0 said:

Hey Happy Pig,
The 1st time you open the app you can’t move the widget until AFTER you play your first song. After that 1st time, the interface moves around just fine and become a lot easier to use/interact.
OsoGrande

@bigbear2345 said:

@HappyPig0 said:

Hey Happy Pig,
The 1st time you open the app you can’t move the widget until AFTER you play your first song. After that 1st time, the interface moves around just fine and become a lot easier to use/interact.
OsoGrande

Thank you :slight_smile:

@thetysos said:

I did now a side by side test with the songs @Sorensiim did already, comparing foobar2000 to PlexAmp and they subjectively match the loudness. I’m wondering what’s his problem might be, not having RG tags? Then the question comes to mind how you enabled RG? Especially for people that have files without the tags. Is it the loudness info you generate server-side when adding tracks to the library? Is is a different implementation than RG?

I don’t use replaygain or normalisation at all on Foobar. Don’t like it, don’t want it. With the Parabol -> Parabola switch there is a pretty solid difference coming from Foobar with all RG off to Plexamp.

You’ll have the option to disable (via JSON file, but hey, better than nothing) in the next version.

Just my 2p, I like the crossfade but I think the duration is too long. Several times with tracks that have slow fade outs I’ve heard the next track come in over the top way too soon (seems like several seconds). For me, just taking the crossover duration down to <1sec would make it a lot nicer, without needing to disable it.

Nice work on the player though, thanks!

@Sorensiim said:

@thetysos said:

I don’t use replaygain or normalisation at all on Foobar. Don’t like it, don’t want it. With the Parabol -> Parabola switch there is a pretty solid difference coming from Foobar with all RG off to Plexamp.

I understand and I too prefer any optional settings to forced settings, so it’s good to have the options in the next release (especially crossfade, ugh). On a last note: in this case of album gain there is the same difference between those tracks. They’re just in general about 7dB quieter than without RG.

@elan do we have RG now across all PLEX players? How does it decide between album gain and track gain, just by playback order? What about playlists containing only full albums in sequence?

Great questions. In order: no, but the server is providing support for clients to add it fairly easily. Based on whether the play queue is for a single album. You can imagine some interesting edge cases with incredibly long albums which extend beyond a play queue window.