For MP3 and FLAC files, how to only use embedded metadata tags, but still see artist info?

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes. I run Plex server on my Drobo 5N. I have spent many months ensuring all my stored FLAC and MP3s have the perfect metadata tag information.When I create a library, I choose the Plex media scanner and the "Personal Media Artists" agent. If I choose the last.fm agent, then I find my metadata tags are sometimes found, but most often not, and what comes back is usually a big mess. Although the "personal media artists" scanner seems to build the library with perfect album and song names, it doesn't give me artist cover art and biographical information, which it did when I chose last.fm. So basically, is there a way to ensure that only my local metadata tags are read, but I still get to see artist biographical information retrieved from the web? Thanks.

Conduct an experiment:
- create a new separate folder on disk, outside of your other library(s)
- copy only one artist/album into there (use one that previously gave you trouble)
- make sure, that none of the folders and none of the file names contain any non-ascii characters like é Ò ô § ö ü ä etc pp. This also extends to any other non-audio files that may be in the folder together with your mp3 files.
- create a new, second music library
- while you are creating the library, go to the 'Advanced' tab and check 'Use embedded tags'
- point the new library to the new folder, created in the first step

Do you get a different outcome now?

Since I see you are a "ninja", I feel compelled to try this, or face some unknown consequences. :)

I will try this weekend and then post my results.

I am looking for a solution to this exact problem. I painstakingly edit my metadata so it's exactly how I want it, and then Plex overwrites it (for some but not all albums). Did you find a way to keep your embedded metadata while having plex fetch only the cover art and artist bio?

@blakeseaton said:
I am looking for a solution to this exact problem. I painstakingly edit my metadata so it’s exactly how I want it, and then Plex overwrites it (for some but not all albums). Did you find a way to keep your embedded metadata while having plex fetch only the cover art and artist bio?

Artist and Album metadata are handled separately.
So it is no problem to use the ‘Local Media Assets’ agent at the top for Albums
but Plex Music at the top for Artist

Keep in mind that changing the internal metadata of your files, after they have been added to Plex won’t be picked up by Plex.
You need to Plex Dance these Albums (for music, you can leave out steps 3+4).

Do also keep in mind that you need to check ‘Use embeded metadata’ in the properties of your music library.

You, sir, are my savior. It worked perfectly. Thank you.

Does the above solution require a subscription to "Plex Premium" in order to work?

@Hotsaucio said:
Does the above solution require a subscription to "Plex Premium" in order to work?

You can apply the the same principle if you substitute 'Plex Premium Music' with 'last.fm'.
The last.fm metadata are of a lesser quality,
but Plex will use embedded data for all album and song info
and query last.fm for the artist info.

Seems to be working. The building of the library is slower (obviously), but finally it seems to be doing exactly what I want. Thanks!

I'm trying to use Plex Cloud to update my unknown albums, which have embedded FLAC tags, however there are claims that Plex doesn't support embedded FLAC tags. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1678331#Comment_1678331

Can anyone shed some light on this?