Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex incorrectly identifying TV episodes

touche112touche112 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have Season 1 of Teen Titans Go on my Plex server.  All episodes are correctly named and foldered according to convention - eg:

\TV Shows\Teen Titans Go\Season 1\Teen Titans Go S01E01.mp4

The server only identifies up to E26.  After that, they're detected just as the filename.  On TheTVDB, all episodes are listed, and my files are named correctly.

Any suggestions?  I have rescanned the database, tried to Fix Incorrect Match on the TV Series screen, and that's it.

Comments

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,529Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • touche112touche112 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    OttoKerner wrote on April 19 2015, 2:20 AM: »

There is no metadata on any file.  It's all blank.  I verified for a second time just to be sure right before posting.

• OrionshockOrionshock Posts: 3,328Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    touche112 wrote on April 19 2015, 2:06 AM: »

I have Season 1 of Teen Titans Go on my Plex server.  All episodes are correctly named and foldered according to convention - eg:

\TV Shows\Teen Titans Go\Season 1\Teen Titans Go S01E01.mp4

The server only identifies up to E26.  After that, they're detected just as the file-name.  On TheTVDB, all episodes are listed, and my files are named correctly.

Any suggestions?  I have re-scanned the database, tried to Fix Incorrect Match on the TV Series screen, and that's it.

Are there dashes or some other delimiter between stuff?

Plex is expecting something between the Show Name, Season/Episode, and Episode Title parts. Also make sure you have those parts ordered correctly "Show Name - SXXEXX - Episode Title.mp4"

"The Vast Majority of problems come from misguided expectations and poor planning." 
    "If you're going to do something, do it right and do it right the first time." -- Unknown.

Occam's Razor Murphy's Law Hanlon's Razor

• abqjimabqjim Posts: 17Members ✭✭

While it seems this may have worked for some, I am still struggling with this. And it is really starting to Tick me off! Heres the deal.

I ripped all 6 of the DVD's in the HBO Series Band of Brothers; I made all the esisode naming mistakes that get you into this seemingly bottomless tar-pit. So I searched for and found all these answers. Great; it looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There are ten actual episodes to the actual series, but there are 40-some mini-episodes on the Bonus disk (disk 6). I wanted to keep them all so I figured out a naming scheme that matched the guidelines published for the TV Series/Mini-Series stuff.

I removed and renamed everything; moved just a few episodes back into the Plex Library and did the update. Lo and behold, just as mentioned the naming was still all messed up. Moved them ALL back into place; all still wrong, and still named the way I had them in the first place. Interesting that not even all of the episodes didn't even show up either.

I found this article about "The Plex Dance"; so I followed those instructions - to the letter! Especially steps 2-5. When all was said and done, all the episode names are STILL all messed up! And still follow the original - incorrect - naming. So far, the ONLY benefit of this effort is that I'm now least seeing ALL of the 50 "episodes". But after all that rigorous renaming and moving of files, the names are still wrong.

BTW, this is on the newly available of Plex for the WD MyCloud family of NAS devices; and aside from this issue, it is all working nicely. And when I view the files on the Server using the MyCloud app or any of the optionsl file browsers, all the names are EXACTLY as I want to see them in Plex. Go figure.

Whats up with this? Am I missing something obvious?

Jim in Albuquerque

Hi Jim, we are going to need the log files now to help sort out this issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

"The Vast Majority of problems come from misguided expectations and poor planning." 
    "If you're going to do something, do it right and do it right the first time." -- Unknown.

Well, thanks for that. But I have scoured the PLEX WEB and SERVER interfaces and I see no way to download - or even look at - any kind of log files from the server. I have looked at about every menu I could find, under the Settings and everything else. The only thing I saw that was even related to Logs was a checkboxs to turn on Debug (already on) and Verbose (Not On) logging, but no clue as to where those logs might be.

I don't seem to be able to TELNET or SSH to the actual server (the WD MyCloudEX2 device running the PLEX server) so I am not sure just how I would go about supplying such files.

It would appear I am at the end of the line here, unless someone has some idea where those logs might be hiding on the WD device.

I've just submitted a support request to WD to see if they can tell me anything about accessing the PLEX log files in question. Have to see where that goes, if anywhere.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417

Shows where to find the log files, even for WD cloud

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sure does; but where is this location?

/mnt/HD/HD_a2/plex_conf/Plex Media Server/Logs

I can't "see" it from my MacBook hosts file system.

I can't GET TO the Cloud device (via Telnet or SSH; connection refused!), which is where I assume they actually are.

So, my question remains; How do I access the location where these files exist? Knowing where they should be doesn't help without knowing how to get there! Kind of like having your GPS give you the Start and End, but leaving out the Map part.

I'm going to stump a bit on behalf of all the "noobs" who may occasionally come to a forum like this. The "active participants" all seem to feel that "we" know as much about all this stuff as "you" do. NOT True!  Admittedly, I am a bit out of my own element here, but I work in an environment not totally different from this, where I have to support applications and people who sometimes don't even know where the power switch is. Seriously. So often having to start with what seems like the most remedial of solutions is all a big part of the game. (End of rant)

I'll get off the soapbox now and get back to the task at hand. I've not received a reply back yet from WD as to how to access their box. When - and if - I do, hopefully it will shed some light on this matter. Until then, this is what I am planning to try next.

Follow "The PLEX Dance" instructions again. (Einstein's definition of "insanity" comes to mind, however.)

After cleaning out everything in the Dance instructions, I am going to power down everything and restart. The WD Cloud; the Mac host; everything.

After power-up, bring back all the files and try (re) updating the library again.

We'll see if that accomplishes anything. Thanks for your persistence.

Well, after doing the Dance a second time and adding the Reboot Everything steps between erasing, cleaning and reloading the files, I can report that NOTHING has changed.

Here is what Plex shows for Episode 1 of the show:  Band of Brothers D1 - Currahee

Here is what the Plex Edit screens "Info" tab displays for the same episode: /shares/Public/Shared Videos/TV Shows/Band of Brothers/Season 1/Band of Brothers - s01e01 - Currahee.mp4

Here is what the name on the WDMyCloud device is:  ...\Shared Videos\TV Shows\Band of Brothers\Season 1\Band of Brothers - s01e01 - Currahee.mp4

I believe this name agrees with the naming guidelines, yes the displayed names in Plex are still the same as the very first time I (erroneously) put them in.

To say the least, this is an extremely frustrating situation. I'm not sure it is even worth chasing this gremlin; I just wish I knew why it happens, and seemingly can't be fixed!

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Posts: 5,513Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You could take a look in the Western Digital forum - might have users in that forum that could provide assistance. 

https://forums.plex.tv/forum/157-western-digital/

Jim

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    Rule #32 "Enjoy the little things"
    edited June 2015
    abqjim wrote on June 13 2015, 3:29 PM: »

Here is what the name on the WDMyCloud device is:  ...\Shared Videos\TV Shows\Band of Brothers\Season 1\Band of Brothers - s01e01 - Currahee.mp4

I believe this name agrees with the naming guidelines, yes the displayed names in Plex are still the same as the very first time I (erroneously) put them in.

Since you are using the mp4 file format, the wrong title of the Series ("Band of Brothers D1") could be embedded in the files themselves.

You need to either:

- correct them, so they are uniform among the whole series

- erase them

- disable the "Local Media Assets (TV)" metadata agent under Settings - Server - Agents - TV Shows - TheTVDB

then, repeat the "Dance" (without the reboot)

Interesting comments about the MP4 file format. That is the default format of the DVDFab software I am using. What would you recommend as an alternative format? The only obvious options I have in DVDFab are five different variants of MP4 and three of MKV. And (to me) the descriptions of all of them look pretty much the same. This video format stuff seems WAY more complicated than it would seem to need.

• eetjtleetjtl Posts: 572Members ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

not so much the MP4 format but the metadata settings in dvdfab.

If that is indeed what is causing the old naming scheme still showing,  either change metadata in the MP4 files or turn off local metadata like mentioned above.

I just ripped a test file with dvdfab trial and it does put the original title in the metadata. So when you change the filename you also need to change or remove the title in the properties details tab or turn off the local metadata in your agents

And I looked on DVDFAB forum and you can't set title to blank.

"I echo this issue for a long time. I believe since I switched from dvdfab 8 to dvdfab 9 (yes, I stayed with dvdfab 8 for a long while until dvdfab 8 was no longer updated) I realized this issue and reported in this forum a couple times. The suggestion at that time was to use dvdfab 8 so that I could still remove the title. dvdfab 9 no longer has option to input title (title name is automatically set to be same to file name). I hope that dvdfab would either use uni-code for this or offer option to customize it in future version."

Very interesting experience. Guess I'll have at least learned an interesting lesson about Plex. Rip 'em; name 'em the EXACT way you want 'em; and ALL before you ever let Plex have a look at 'em!

Does seem to me like this is a MAJOR BUG in an otherwise good product; anyone else think so?

At any rate, I have just finished manually renaming every episode in the Edit screen to how I wanted them to show up in the first place. What a major P.I.T.A. Just hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the a$$ later on down the road.

edited June 2015
    abqjim wrote on June 14 2015, 4:07 PM: »

Very interesting experience. Guess I'll have at least learned an interesting lesson about Plex. Rip 'em; name 'em the EXACT way you want 'em; and ALL before you ever let Plex have a look at 'em!

Precisely. That is the only way. It's a good thing™.

abqjim wrote on June 14 2015, 4:07 PM: »

At any rate, I have just finished manually renaming every episode in the Edit screen to how I wanted them to show up in the first place. What a major P.I.T.A.

No need for that:

Filebot

theRenamer

• eetjtleetjtl Posts: 572Members ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

Glad you got it working. But you may still have issue unless you remove the local media agent or at least push it down in order.

Like I stated above ripping with Dvdfab will add a metadata title tag that matches your rip filename. A simple rename later will not update that title tag. It has to be edited.

I like how not following the start up steps becomes a MAJOR BUG :)

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200264746-Quick-Start-Step-by-Step

Plex identifies your media according to folder structure, filename, and the type of Library to which it is assigned. Once identified, Plex fetches information like posters, descriptions, and ratings that make media selection a rich experience. The requirements for organizing and naming files are quite flexible, but in the same way you'd probably have no idea that a movie file called GWTW.mkv was the movie "Gone with the Wind", neither will Plex.

For best matching results, you must check the Media Preparation guides and spend time ensuring your media collection is sorted and named correctly. Although the process is quite flexible, you can avoid mismatched or unrecognized media by adhering to the naming conventions right from the start.

• rkmorrisrkmorris Posts: 279Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I did the dance, still no joy - still can't see my files ... :(. Log files attached.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The Plex Dance is not about missing media.

You are mixing movies and series in the same library.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201543057-Why-is-some-of-my-content-not-found-