Forcing Folder view as default

server-windows

Is this even possible? It doesn't make sense if not. All of my media is sorted in folders to make it easy to find, but the clients default to titles. Sure as a plex user I know how to select the folder view but it is a nuisance to have to do that every single time I want to find a specific thing. This is especially difficult when there is a new plex user accessing my stuff that does not know about the sort by folder feature and I have to explain the process to them and the first question I get is "Can you make it stay that way?"

Is there a way to for any clients accessing my server to view all of my categories etc in folder view as the default. It just seems to me that this should be an option on the server and then the client would have to option to override with their own view if they want. Maybe I am missing it somewhere?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Is this even possible? It doesn't make sense if not. All of my media is sorted in folders to make it easy to find, but the clients default to titles. Sure as a plex user I know how to select the folder view but it is a nuisance to have to do that every single time I want to find a specific thing. This is especially difficult when there is a new plex user accessing my stuff that does not know about the sort by folder feature and I have to explain the process to them and the first question I get is "Can you make it stay that way?"

Is there a way to for any clients accessing my server to view all of my categories etc in folder view as the default. It just seems to me that this should be an option on the server and then the client would have to option to override with their own view if they want. Maybe I am missing it somewhere?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Agreed, this would be a very useful feature indeed. 

Especially for libraries designated as 'Home Movie' folders...sorting by file name is not really useful here, since I don't typically rename every personal video according to topic, but I do place all videos taken at a certain event under a descriptive folder name.  Being able to open those libraries and having them default to a folder structure to navigate would make much more sense that being presented with a bunch of 'movies' titled "0001", "0002", "0003", etc...

Hi,

I second that. I think Plex was created to make it easy to access things, this is too complicated to find on the bottom of the list for new users

Please create a way so that the Folder View is either automatically used or at least can be rearranged to the top of the list

(Currently there is "All " at the top, especially in Home Movies totally useless as it puts all the funny named files seemingly random together, but everyone has their own preferences, right?)

It seems for Roku there already is a way to rearrange:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/83739-by-folder-on-top/?hl=folder

Thanks for bringing it to the other clients as well !

+1

+1

+1

+1 All my home videos are a mess now.

+1

Plex ever going to fix this? On Xbox One Plex app, I need to search cover art view via folder on its source.

+1

Please, for Home Movies, at least

agreed, for home movies it would be easier. +1

+1

First post was in September 2013
Now it is August 2015

Nothing happend

+1 really surprised this isn't an option in the library configuration settings.

+1 here too...so tired of clicking through menus when I already have everything in folders.

When I first started using Plex I too thought that I needed and wanted a folder view. In fact I went back and forth from using Plex to using RoksBox to using Chaneru on me Roku and back and forth several times before I stumbled upon the fact that for me the standard Plex view was superior if I could use filters and genera correctly.

The thing that helped me to use the genera tags better was changing the order of the agents for movies placing The Movie Database first inside the settings for Freebase and making sure that The Movie Database was first everywhere I could make it so. Freebase and others do good stuff but genera tags seem so much better with TMDB. That way most of the "junk" genera tags disappeared making genera filters much more usable.

I still have some of my movie database in folders but I abandoned the genera folders some time ago. The main client I use is Roku and the one lack not is that the new Roku client and every other client that conforms to Plex's new interface idea is that it is impossible to browse for multiple genera at the same time. That is, without using smart playlists (Play lists have other extreme limitations) I cannot browse for, as example, all movies that are either science fiction, horror or fantasy.

I think that I can now find a given movie even more quickly than I ever could using any program/client combo I have tried with a fully functioning folder view. The Roku client, at least the version for Plex pass users offers a "By Folder" view but I almost never use it as I am now well adjusted to the new Plex view.

When I first started using Plex I thought I could not even use it well without using a folder view but now I often forget why I even thought that a folder view was needed.

One example of where a simple folder view fails is the "Alien" movie series. Do Alien and Aliens really belong in science fiction, horror, action, adventure or simply drama. Other movie that really need to be in multiple folders for a folder view to work are Predator, The Mummy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, National Treasure and many many others. Yes, you can use hyperlinks to have movies that belong in multiple folders show up in all the correct folders but that is simply a clumsy workaround.

I think that most people are, like I was, set in their ways and see change as equal to unusable.

The only thing wrong with change, much of the time, is change itself. (acknowledgment to Winston Churchill for the paraphrasing)

I do not want to minimize the desire for folder views that many have but I just wanted to point out that there are many that did feel that way but do not really feel the same now.

Serviio has a feature where you can uncheck all of the unwanted "views" or sorting paramaters in clients (I have a WD TV LIVE), so that all you have left is "by folder"... I'm quite surprised that Plex doesn't have this function in it's settings. It'd be great so see it in an update...

Has this finally been fixed after 5 years?

Please fix this. If you have media that is not simple music, movie or shows. The other algorithms just don't work. Please fix this.

Come on guys! I have a bunch of tutorials that need to be in folder view. All i want to do is save the folder view for the tutorials library and the rest stay in movie view