How to title movies so they get picked up properly?

I have a unique issue with a few of my DVDs not being picked up and processed by the Plex server correctly. I have the special extended editions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and each movie is divided into two disks. I have copied and transcoded the individual disks so there are now two mp4 files for each movie in the Movie library:
The Lord of the Rings part 1.mp4
The Lord of the Rings part 2.mp4

This results in ONE movie being shown in Plex with the correct full length time in the info, but only the first part is actually shown in the library...with half of the movie.

How can I name these so they get picked up properly by Plex?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200264966-Naming-Stacked-or-Multi-Part-Movies

The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Rings (2001) - pt1.xxx
The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Rings (2001) - pt2.xxx

That will get 'em stacked so they’ll play one after the other, but Plex deals so badly with stacked movies it’s better just to join them:

Naming is always important:
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200381023-Naming-Movie-files

This will basically lay out the Naming Standards for you and you’ll find LOTR(s) at the bottom of the list:

I can’t remember how they end up laying in the Library, but when I have sequels and boxed sets I always edit the Sort Title Field so they’ll lay side by side in the right order. My Sort Title Field for LOTRs is: Lord 2001, Lord 2002 and Lord 2003.

I am certain I used FileBot to pre-match and re-name these items (link in my signature). There are probably several different names these movies will match with, but the ones shown will absolutely get the job done because FileBot has already been to TMDB, found them and named them correctly for Plex.

sorry unclear what this means “but only the first part is actually shown in the library…with half of the movie.” Can you take a screenshot or something

If you hit play both should be played back to back. If i am understanding ( which i might not be ), sounds like you just need to edit the Title.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll digest all that and see how it works.
BigWheel, I meant that although both movie files are physically present in the folder (part 1 and part 2), only one movie “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” shows up in the Plex server. That one movie is only as long as part 1. So as it is now I can only play part 1.
I’ll look into joining the movies and that should solve my issue.

@joelshort said:
Thanks for the replies. I’ll digest all that and see how it works.
BigWheel, I meant that although both movie files are physically present in the folder (part 1 and part 2), only one movie “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring” shows up in the Plex server. That one movie is only as long as part 1. So as it is now I can only play part 1.
I’ll look into joining the movies and that should solve my issue.

If you name both parts like Juice said, I bet the files will play correctly. You are discovering that if you don’t name things properly, things don’t work right.

Renaming the files solved the issue and they now play back to back. That’s good enough for me. Thanks!