Is there any way to undo whatever Plex has done to my media files

server-synology

I had installed and configured Plex on my Synology NAS DS1515+ yesterday, but I had no idea that if I select the features like Metadata, sync, etc etc on the PLEX setup I will end up doubling the size of each and every media file be it music, video etc.
Plex has eaten up almost 4TB of disc space from my NAS and now I have run out of space.
I stopped all that was going on with Plex application and deleted the Plex account and the Plex Home Directory as well but cannot free up disc space.
Is there any way to undo what ever Plex has done......
PLEASE HELP............

1. Plex never does anything to your media files.
  2. The only place PMS writes is to the Plex share (your metadata and Sync processing) and DVR if you record

When you created your first library, you probably left “Chapter Thumbnails” enabled.

Some new users think the Plex share is where they are supposed to put their media. This is 100% incorect. I made the Plex share visible for those rare cases when PMS doesn’t start or you wish to add a Plug-in. It allows you to reach in and manually get the logs or add a Plug-in without resorting to command line operations.

If you need to ‘start over’:

1. Stop PMS
  2. Give your username R/W access to the Plex share
  3. Open File Station
  4. Navigate to the Plex share and delete Library. This will take time to delete
  5. If you have placed any media there, go create different shares for your media. No media should be in there.
  6. When Library has been deleted, Start PMS
  7. Start setup again

Dear ChuckPA,
I had uninstalled Plex and had deleted the Plex folder from my NAS.
and when I could not get the disk space back I did install Plex again and started it.
Now the Library size in only 180 MB, so even if I delete this how will I recover the 4 TB of disk space taken up by Plex specially for the Movies folder.
And I do not know where and what has been written inside the each and every Movie be it a thumbnail or a trailer etc which I am sure I left enabled.
There must be a way to undo whatever has been done, please help I am almost in tears because it will be a humongous task to delete all the movies and burn/buy them again.
Best Regards

What did you setup IN your movies share? You don’t have DVR capability so what is writing to your shares?
Did you go find the files??

4TB of disk space Plex has taken up??
mmmm I don’t think so!

How big is your library?

Have you duplicated all/some of your media?

Dear Spikemixture,
I have no idea as to how Plex is supposed to be setup in the first place and went overboard with clicking here and there thinking “WoW” what cool features getting a trailer or a thumbnail before a movie (watched or not) is played… and I have no clue as to where is the feature of duplicating the media is there on Plex… in fact this is probably the worst mistake of my life in past 26 years of being in the IT industry to enable Plex on my lovely functional NAS.
Still wondering if I copy and paste my media files onto another NAS will inherit the drama created by Plex on my existing setup or if I have to sit down and waste zillions of hours copying the media files individually one by one.
Well I made a mistake of using Plex then I have to pay the price I believe so …
Note: After reinstalling Plex since past almost 48 hours it is still doing something on my disks and the media is still not available to view even directly from a Windows 10 Laptop from my Synolgy NAS, all the disks have been operational for past 84 hours since the first instance of Plex to uninstalling and deletions and installing Plex again etc etc … what a bad application developed with a pathetic support… well in the end it is my bad of selecting this garbage for my media files…

Dear ChuckPA,
More or less I let the Plex do its own thing and selected by mistake the trailers and thumbnails part ( wow–didn’t know the associated pain).
It has been so many hours and I have not been able to see anything in the movies and music folders the PLEX keeps on saying " There are no items in the library"
What have I got myself into???
anyway Plex is going to be stopped now on my NAS and I don’t want it…what I want is the eaten up 4 TB back with all my data intact…

Mind if I take over here and assist?

@Raghvesh

The most common way to setup a Synology NAS for Plex use is to categorize the media by general classification: Movies, Television, and Music.
We do this because of how Plex works. It is media “type” based. This is important because “Star Trek” might be a movie or it could be the TV series. Knowing the type of media it is (movie or television series) makes identifying and then retrieving the correct information for you that much easier.

Can you show (screen shot from Control Panel - Shared Folders) the shared folders you've created so far -OR- Screen shot from File Station if you created folders underVideos` (a Synology default folder)

Next, can you explain (text outline is fine) how you would like it organized? What makes sense to you within the general category confines of how Plex works. (Keep in mind, it’s ok to have multiple shares of type “movies”. I have “4K movies”, “UHD Movies”, “Animate Movies”, etc)

@Raghvesh said:
Dear ChuckPA,
More or less I let the Plex do its own thing and selected by mistake the trailers and thumbnails part ( wow–didn’t know the associated pain).
It has been so many hours and I have not been able to see anything in the movies and music folders the PLEX keeps on saying " There are no items in the library"
What have I got myself into???
anyway Plex is going to be stopped now on my NAS and I don’t want it…what I want is the eaten up 4 TB back with all my data intact…

We can clear up the Thumbnails easily.

1. “Edit” each Library section you’ve created. (hover the mouse over the library and click the ellipsis) -> Edit
  2. Click the Advanced tab
  3. In the Advanced tab do the following:

A. Uncheck the Thumbnails box (this is enabled by default)
B. Click the Red “Delete Preview Thumbnails” button
C. When done, SAVE these changes.

It should look like this.

Good on you chuck and good luck!
Raghvesh has had 26 years in IT so it should be a breeze - or not!

@Raghvesh what NAS make/model do you have?

How many hard drives do you have in the NAS and what size are they?