Issues with the News "Feature"

news

This is...Wow. I get that it would be a useful option to have a newsfeed within Plex, but to have it as a mandatory component that cannot be disabled? Do you actually have people doing UX or was this some bizarre contractual requirement you needed to fulfil to get access to the news sources you wanted? There are so many issues with this implementation and rollout:

1. First and absolutely foremost, it is mandatory. You cannot disable it from appearing in your app at all and the only response when people ask is "But..but..we are working toward even more granular control for users in future releases." - Not good enough, I want it GONE. if the only way to do that is to downgrade my clients, so be it. If I have to downgrade my server, so be it, but pushing content on us is intrusive.
  2. The news feeds autoplay. What the actual hell. Can you please give us the name of the person who went through the thought process of "Hey, you know the most irritating thing about the internet, autoplaying videos? you know that thing so annoying that Google is baking the ability to block them into Chrome? Won't it be an awesome idea to put that into our new feature? just have some random video blaring out as soon as you open the news, before you can even get to the settings! and hey, for even more fun, even if they do pause the video as soon as they come out of any other menu it will autoplay all over again! This is going to be an amazing user experience!". NOTHING in Plex autoplays except TV themes, and that's if you CHOOSE to have them.
  3. Your documentation on this feature, where you've bothered to write any, is godawful. What does the Mute option do? It certainly doesn't do what the overview says (" Blocks content from that channel in your Newscast") because I've muted every source in the app and I'm still getting news! The FAQ answer for removing the News app is "Currently in the news settings you can toggle on or off promoting My Newscast to the Plex home screen" but - as stated on the overview but NOT on the FAQ, that option is only "In supported TV based app". Roku is apparently not one of those, nor can you access the news settings from the Android app at all

That nobody caught these earlier is breathtaking...assuming of course these were oversights and not deliberate sacrifices of our choice and autonomy signed away in a business deal...

But you wouldn't do that, would you?

Fix this, fix it fast, definitely fix it before the general rollout on friday or the tech news is going to be all over this and it'll be too late. There was a **reason **you used Pass users for beta testing, remember?

Please listen to Charax. I would be really embarrassed on so many levels, if I had anything to do with the decision to roll out this new feature, at least in it’s current state.

Let’s just pretend that Plex Cloud and Cloud Sync worked really well, and there was nothing left to do at Plex Central. And News was something I was interested in and I did not want to disable it. Why would you not allow any customization on Mobile? I don’t know about you guys over at Plex, but I consume news primarily on my phone, not my big screen.

Anyhow, Plex has lost their way in the recent past, seemingly dangling the latest shiny object to distract us from other features or products that simply have never worked right, and I have lost hope.

The top thread shows that it is something that they are working on to be able to toggle it on and off.

Please listen to your users. This is an unwanted feature and it is poorly implemented. It is intrusive, hostile, and disrespects the user. You should roll it back.

Remember when Apple put a U2 album on everyone's iPhone? People hated that. They had personal curated music collections and Apple messed with it. They're not going to be happier about this.

I have been looking forward to this feature release ever since I had heard that Plex acquired Watchup, but I agree the implementation was not good.

I use Plex Home with managed users and I myself don't even watch tv using the root account; I use it only for administration of Plex. The news feature isn't available to any Home members, only the root account. I should be able to turn it on and off for specific Home users (like I do with all libraries, content ratings, channels, and other features like camera upload) and allow them to each tailor their own news feed if they wish. So for me to use the feature that I have been looking forward to, I have to completely abandon the way that I have been using Plex for, for all these years.
I completely agree with @Charax on the auto-play feature. Not only is regarded as poor UX design, it also currently has a terrible unintended behavior. I hopped in the car today and Bluetoothed my phone to the stereo and started up my music playlist to find that I had to listen to 5 minutes of some news anchor talking over the top of my music. It happened again each time I got back into the car. That was extremely annoying! Not to mention that I am constantly touting Plex to other people about all of the capabilities. How unprofessional would that have looked if they had experienced that with me. That seems appropriate for a free startup service, but not something that someone is paying a monthly or yearly subscription for. I certainly wouldn't have signed up for a subscription if that was my first experience with Plex.
I hope they get these bugs worked out soon! I would like to enjoy the feature, but haven't been so far.

Yeah, as soon as I saw "News" show up in my app - which pushed my music library listing off screen - it really pissed me off. And not having the ability to remove or turn off the "feature" that I didn't want in the first place just pisses me off even further! I spent 20 minutes going over the UI in my android app, and on my server looking for where to turn this useless piece of feces feature off, only to find that I wasted my time!
I primarily use my Plex app to stream my music through my phone to my car stereo while I'm driving, and 9 times out of 10 I'm in a bit of a rush. The way I had my library's arranged on my server allowed me to easily pull up my music library without having to look at my phone after pulling up the app. The addition of the "NEWS" to the UI means that I am now forced to either rename my library's so that my music library is higher on the list, or I have to look at my phone every time I launch the app and take the extra minute EVERY time to browse to my library and begin playing my music.
I am a PLEX Pass member, and I have made every one of my friends aware of PLEX, and managed to get a few of them to join as well. If I don't see this resolved within the next two updates, I WILL being to push people away from this service.

Well said. Auto play is unacceptable on every level imaginable, so is the button placement. Please please please offer the option to disable.

@danwright said:
I have been looking forward to this feature release ever since I had heard that Plex acquired Watchup, but I agree the implementation was not good.

I use Plex Home with managed users and I myself don't even watch tv using the root account; I use it only for administration of Plex. The news feature isn't available to any Home members, only the root account. I should be able to turn it on and off for specific Home users (like I do with all libraries, content ratings, channels, and other features like camera upload) and allow them to each tailor their own news feed if they wish. So for me to use the feature that I have been looking forward to, I have to completely abandon the way that I have been using Plex for, for all these years.
I completely agree with @Charax on the auto-play feature. Not only is regarded as poor UX design, it also currently has a terrible unintended behavior. I hopped in the car today and Bluetoothed my phone to the stereo and started up my music playlist to find that I had to listen to 5 minutes of some news anchor talking over the top of my music. It happened again each time I got back into the car. That was extremely annoying! Not to mention that I am constantly touting Plex to other people about all of the capabilities. How unprofessional would that have looked if they had experienced that with me. That seems appropriate for a free startup service, but not something that someone is paying a monthly or yearly subscription for. I certainly wouldn't have signed up for a subscription if that was my first experience with Plex.
I hope they get these bugs worked out soon! I would like to enjoy the feature, but haven't been so far.

Great job @BigWheel

sorry is there a question in there for me?

@BigWheel said:
sorry is there a question in there for me?

I Don't think so, just a whole lot of frustration from a lot of people (myself included)

I understand the need to diversify Plex in order to grow its users, the real challenge is doing that while not alienating your current user base. And you won't hear me about development time and choices that plex makes. something that is a big deal for me might/will not be for someone else.

From a Plex point of view I get that all of you are super excited about the new News feature, but as with all new features there will always be a number large or small that does not like it and in order to grow Plex these users need to be considered by making sure users can easily disable these features when you release them.

Please listen to your users, we are emotional and vocal because we Love Plex! It will never be possible to make everybody completely happy but if there is nothing to improve it would get boring quick!!

I've been using Plex now for about a year and loved it so much that bought my lifetime PlexPass within two months.
I still recommend Plex to my friends and love the product my money on the lifetime PlexPass feels like many very well spend! Being a "Fanboy" does however not stop me from making my voice heard, Plex is great but has the potential to become fantastic!!

M

and now that you know what it means because I just told you

+1 Give us the ability to remove of this POS feature "NEWS" from the menu. Let us disable it and for gods sake NEVER, EVER have AUTOPLAY VIDEO on any feature. Clear Enough?

@steerpike999 said:
+1 Give us the ability to remove of this POS feature "NEWS" from the menu. Let us disable it and for gods sake NEVER, EVER have AUTOPLAY VIDEO on any feature. Clear Enough?

Update: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/297785/managing-access-to-plex-news#latest