movies wont play-say "unavailable"

server-nvidia-shield

#1

Been useing plex for a while now and find it awesome.
One issue i hope someone can help with.I have 3 movie folders eg. Movies 1, Movies 2 and Movies 3.
Unwatched movies are in 1 and 2. After they have been watched i transfer them to 3.
Now the issue.
If i go back and would like to rewatch a movie in movie 3 it says unavailable .If i want to watch it i have to transfer back to movies 1 to watch again.
Can u think why I am unable to watch movies that have been watched and tranfered to a different folder eg Movies 3.
All folders are on the same drive, a NAS drive.

Thanx


#2

When you move the files around on the drive, you have to update the libraries to reflect the new locations. Plex is looking for the last location of the movie - it is unaware of the new location. You would have to copy to the new location (not move), do a scan of the library, and then Plex would show you have two copies. Once that's done, you'd have to delete the original and do another scan of the library, and then Plex would show just one copy and the watched state would be preserved.

Why are you physically moving the files after watching them? I recommend just leaving them alone - Plex automatically flags the media as watched after you watch it.


#3

Did what u said… alls good


#4

Since all folders are on the same drive I’m struggling to imagine why you’re moving the files among folders rather than using the watched/unwatched feature of Plex, particularly since you aren’t deleting the movie from Plex. Hence the “unavailable”.


#5

@hatfieldjf said:
Since all folders are on the same drive I’m struggling to imagine why you’re moving the files among folders rather than using the watched/unwatched feature of Plex, particularly since you aren’t deleting the movie from Plex. Hence the “unavailable”.

For New Movies I have a specific Library marked “New Movies” after a period in time I cull/delete or keep. On keep i put them in other Libraries. Say Comedy, Action and different Genres . When Libraries get large I have found it works better for Dumb ■■■■ TV’s/ Smart TV’s in Load times and quick sorting.

Have you got your PMS/Library settings enabled for “Update my Library automatically” as i do not suffer from this issue. Maybe “Weeks to consider for deck” has something to do with the problem. I always have that at " 1 ".

Anyway best practice is generally to leave alone and let PLEX organize your media as the software intends.


#6

@SE56 said:
Anyway best practice is generally to leave alone and let PLEX organize your media as the software intends.

THAT!

you could quite easily setup a keep/delete scenario using e.g. a smart playlist (movies added x months ago with status not watched and status not rated or rating below x stars; during maintenance you check the smart playlist and clean-up the no longer wanted movies.
handling this by tinkering with the files etc. will drive you crazy at some point :wink:


#7

@tom80H said:

@SE56 said:
Anyway best practice is generally to leave alone and let PLEX organize your media as the software intends.

THAT!

you could quite easily setup a keep/delete scenario using e.g. a smart playlist (movies added x months ago with status not watched and status not rated or rating below x stars; during maintenance you check the smart playlist and clean-up the no longer wanted movies.
handling this by tinkering with the files etc. will drive you crazy at some point :wink:

Only Movies and most are deleted as 1 in 10 these days are rubbish. So not a big job and done every 2 or 3 months. But a cool idea with playlists, I’m probably just doing it manually with a sort date added as separate Library. Big Libraries offer issues with older Smart Tv’s that don’t have quad core Processors and suitable RAM using Plex TV app.