First of all, this is not a rant, this is a collection of facts i encountered during the last few days....
I wish someone would have written this few lines so i would have found them right away before buying the NVidia Shield TV Pro.
I would not have bought it, if have known these things.
I have a library with around 1000 Movies and around 730 Series on a Synology NAS 1813+. All around this is approx 26TB of data.
Before i tried to switch to PMS on Shield, i ran the PMS on the Synology NAS.
Of course the CPU there is not powerful enough for good transcoding results, but library management worked fine and i even could have my own scanner agent for MediaCenterMaster files which reduced download of metadata a lot.
(MediaCenterMaster prepares all metadata locally for the scanner/agent to find without additional download)
The transcoding capabilities of the shield was my initial trigger to get that thing.
My experience shows however it is far far far from usable...
Issues of the NVidia Shield:
- The device randomly reboots and if you don't power cycle it manually it either takes around 15 minutes to recover or does not recover at all on such an event.
Most of the times during scanning a library or when opening other apps as well...
This is annoying as hell and as you can imagine makes working with PMS a pain in the ass.
- The device SMB code is flawed and lead to missing files/folders if the amount of files/folders exceed around 80 items
This is a known issue with the Shield since at least a month. Nothing happened so far to fix this.
The result is quite clear. My Series in PMS shows 722, whereas the real number is 726.
Same for the movies. As they are split up into several directories, its even worse. I am missing 8 there!!!
Aaaand that is the killer bug for running PMS on a shield. it makes it completely useless. (for large collections)
Issues of PMS on Shield:
- .plexignore simply does not work. the scanner scans all files in the NAS folders.
This means the log shows the scanner checks jpg, nfo and xml files in a tv series library whereas they are to be set to ignore due to a *.jpg, etc. setting in .plexignore.
- When .plexignore is present, the speed reduces to around 10-20% (personal opinion, not timed!) of the scan speed if the file is not present.
Well i know that regex is cpu intense, but this is absolutely ridiculous, especially when it does not work.
- PMS is not able to delete files from a SMB share mounted library.
If this an Android issue or PMS issue, i don't care as a user. PMS just can't do it, but offers the option. That is an issue.
- PMS crashes from time to time and therefore drops all the connections.
Well thats better than if the whole device reboots, but still annoying.
- Cannot use own scanner/agents, e.g. MediaCenterMaster to reduce Metadata download to a minimum.
So Team PLEX, i am LifeTime Member since a while now and i always was satisfied with your recommendations.
But with the NVidia Shield, you did not help yourself at all.
You are recommending this device for PMS usage which is IMHO almost a fraud when i look at all the issues...
This combination of HW and SW is not usable and cannot and SHOULD NOT be recommended until all of this is fixed.
A very disappointed LifeTime Member of PlexPass...