Plex Player App for Tesla

Not to hijack the Tesla thread here. But if only Tesla could integrate Android auto and Apple Carplay as an option, then Plex wouldn’t need to redo anything. Then Plex team could focus on improving Android auto and creating an option for Apple Carplay.

Don’t think they’ll add Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Would be a bit against their keeping everything in house development model. Definitely prefer using the car LTE data and vastly better GPS receiver than my cell phone. Unlike most cars this one will keep getting updates that make the experience better. Basic Bluetooth functions seem like something worth devoting time to ironing out in the Android Plex app for any car, headphones, speakers, etc.

I’ve never loved a car as much as I’ve loved this Tesla :sweat_smile:

Wrote up my thoughts on the first month of ownership here :sweat_smile:

… but the company (Tesla) is nearly bankrupt with a total market share of <0.03%. Why focus on their vehicles over any other manufacturer?

@bsheperis said:
… but the company (Tesla) is nearly bankrupt with a total market share of <0.03%. Why focus on their vehicles over any other manufacturer?

Because he owns one, and he can.

Need no other reason.

An excellent write up! That elegantly sums up my first month as well.

Everyone around me would probably agree that I won’t shut up about my Model 3. Unlike most new cars this one is genuinely worth talking about. I wish I could find the correct words to describe sitting in and driving this car but the best I’ve got for now is that it just feels right. From the first moment I sat in it I’ve never felt such an overwhelming “this feels right”. Every other car I sit in now just feels wrong. I’ve had many people flag me down to check out my car and I’m happy to oblige. From the Tesla fans to people who knew nothing of Tesla they have all been genuinely amazed. If you happen to find yourself near a Tesla showroom I urge anyone to check it out. Do a test drive if you can. The media loves a punching bag especially when it is disrupting a norm. Tesla isn’t going anywhere and I plan on enjoying every moment of being on the cutting edge of the new normal.

This isn’t difficult (again, idiomatic), but every single person has first ended up stuck outside, and then trapped inside, which is probably a great metaphor for Tesla ownership in general.

aaaaahahahahhaa I love this line.

Oi, I got one too now :sweat_smile: Nowhere is safe from me @elan :joy:

Joking aside, I did try to reverse proxy my setup and access it that way, but I never got past the ‘Plex’ splash screen. Will keep trying…

Congratulations on the new car!

I’ve tried to run various things on their web browser as well, but sadly it seems pretty primitive (e.g. no WebGL support) and slow (scrolling is much slower than e.g. in native Maps).

@elan looking forward to the ~1 year tesla re-evaluation blog.

Spoiler alert: so far it’s almost 100% glowingly positive.

Has anyone tried Plex out on the new Chromium based browser? I am still waiting for the update on my M3, but saw the 2019.8.x update beginning mass rollout for first wave.

I have 2019.8.x but it still seems to be the old browser.

It looks like 2019.12 (which started rolling out to a few users) includes the upgrade to the Chromium browser that was talked about a while back - Might make it easier to get Plex working! I love my Model 3 and I love Plex, it would be amazing if the stars aligned and this can actually work!

Link to release notes: https://imgur.com/gallery/87f8yW0

The one manufacturer that really is making a difference in this polluted and selfish world deserves to be focused upon. “Any other manufacturer” is either corrupt or manipulates their software. Reason enough?

Can’t wait to watch Game of Thrones while traveling 75 down US 101.

The only thing I can think of to solve this off the bat is to create an app on the phone (or maybe just running on a Raspberry Pi etc) to allow a wifi hotspot that the car connects to and then create an HTTP proxy to intercept the request / response for Tesla’s connection to Spotify. Then you could respond with Plex data that maps to the existing Spotify responses the car expects.

Technically possible. It would also then mean that all network traffic goes through your phone / Rpi instead of the built in data connection in the car.

Then the user could use the built-in spotify app but it would be searching, playing, interfacing with your plex library instead.

EDIT: Just realised some regions still don’t have Spotify built in to the car - WHAAATT??

In a week or two Version 10 software will be pushed to Tesla and that gives them the ability to play Netflix and YouTube, so maybe there is an easier way once that happens?

I think Spotify is their music streaming provider in Europe and Slacker is not very good, so switching is kind of easy and logical. But in general, Tesla does not seem to want to support 3rd party integration/apps.