Plex Skins on Rasplex

rasplex

Would it make sense to have a pinned/sticky thread that included which skins work fine on Rasplex, and document any particular issues a skin may have?

I'm a newb to Plex (5+ year XBMC user), and the default skin isn't quite cutting it for me.

I've run the Plex Black edition skin (https://forums.plex.tv/topic/115895-plex-based-skin-modification/?p=689193), which seems to work pretty well... however, the Rasplex config app doesn't display very well with the skin.  I'll document other issues as I see them.  I'm not sure whether it makes sense to report the issues upstream to the skin developer, or if they're issues that should be resolved in the rasplex settings app.

Are there other viable skins?

Would it make sense to have a pinned/sticky thread that included which skins work fine on Rasplex, and document any particular issues a skin may have?

I'm a newb to Plex (5+ year XBMC user), and the default skin isn't quite cutting it for me.

I've run the Plex Black edition skin (https://forums.plex.tv/topic/115895-plex-based-skin-modification/?p=689193), which seems to work pretty well... however, the Rasplex config app doesn't display very well with the skin.  I'll document other issues as I see them.  I'm not sure whether it makes sense to report the issues upstream to the skin developer, or if they're issues that should be resolved in the rasplex settings app.

It's a font issue with the skin, report it to the skin developer, if you really need to go into System Settings (although once Rasplex is configured, can't see why you need to), just enable the normal Plex skin, make changes and then enable Plex Black Edition.

The only other skins which seem to work are Amber and Simplex.e, all the others considerably slow down Rasplex or do not work with Plex HT 1.2.2 (ie Rasplex).

No point in 'sticky' only Plex Skin is supported in Rasplex, any other skin issues are your responsibility.

Regards

It's a font issue with the skin, report it to the skin developer, if you really need to go into System Settings (although once Rasplex is configured, can't see why you need to), just enable the normal Plex skin, make changes and then enable Plex Black Edition.

The only other skins which seem to work are Amber and Simplex.e, all the others considerably slow down Rasplex or do not work with Plex HT 1.2.2 (ie Rasplex).

No point in 'sticky' only Plex Skin is supported in Rasplex, any other skin issues are your responsibility.

Regards

Thanks

Not really concerned about skins technically being supported by the client.  Having someplace for others in the community using rasplex to go to document which skins work and how well would be helpful, rather than having to crawl random posts in the forum, or do a google search.  Google searching got me nowhere - I just happened to finally run across a post that you had made.  Could also be part of a FAQ thread.  Just a suggestion - tends to reduce repetitive posting.

please post a log file or take a picture from the Rasplex System Settings from the original Plex skin.

I have no rasplex so i can not test this.

please post a log file or take a picture from the Rasplex System Settings from the original Plex skin.

Hi DaedEyeFlint

The problem relates to the colors.xml file, a number of colours required by the System Settings are no longer available in your colors.xml file. I will extract a copy of the file from Rasplex and post this tomorrow.

Thanks for showing interest.

Regards

I was wrong, the colors.xml in your skin does not appear to be the problem.  Rasplex uses a custom System Settings Skin, in addition to the normal Plex Skin which is embedded in Rasplex itself.

These System Settings relate to setting Network Connectivity, Bluetooth, Samba, keyboard language, etc which allow users to set system parameters not covered by a Plex Skin and are normally set when configuring Rasplex for the first time (i.e. before setting a preferred skin in Preferences) so shouldn't be a problem.  For the time being a user can switch back to the standard Plex Skin, make any changes in System Settings and then switch the skin back - not something that a user would normally need to do after initial setup.

I will continue to investigate.

Regards

Hi,

I just installed the plex black skin on rasplex and wanted to give some indication on the way to set up a skin under rasplex (quite simple actually but easier to do if it is explained)

- unrar the downloaded skin on your computer 

- download and install WINSCP

- using WINSCP, login to rasplex (user "root", password "rasplex")

- navigate to /storage/.plexht/addons

- upload the complete unrared directory to this location

- reboot rasplex

done...

Note that the same method for skin installation will work with any FTP client that supports SFTP protocol (SSH FTP).
I've done exactly the same thing using FileZilla, for example. So using WinSCP is not a requirement.

Best regards: dlanor

Hi,

I just installed the plex black skin on rasplex and wanted to give some indication on the way to set up a skin under rasplex (quite simple actually but easier to do if it is explained)

- unrar the downloaded skin on your computer 
- download and install WINSCP
- using WINSCP, login to rasplex (user "root", password "rasplex")
- navigate to /storage/.plexht/addons
- upload the complete unrared directory to this location
- reboot rasplex

done...

Note that the same method for skin installation will work with any FTP client that supports SFTP protocol (SSH FTP).I've done exactly the same thing using FileZilla, for example. So using WinSCP is not a requirement.Best regards: dlanor

WinSCP no good for Mac users either, use Cyberduck.

Regards

I was wrong, the colors.xml in your skin does not appear to be the problem.  Rasplex uses a custom System Settings Skin, in addition to the normal Plex Skin which is embedded in Rasplex itself.

These System Settings relate to setting Network Connectivity, Bluetooth, Samba, keyboard language, etc which allow users to set system parameters not covered by a Plex Skin and are normally set when configuring Rasplex for the first time (i.e. before setting a preferred skin in Preferences) so shouldn't be a problem.  For the time being a user can switch back to the standard Plex Skin, make any changes in System Settings and then switch the skin back - not something that a user would normally need to do after initial setup.

I will continue to investigate.

Regards

hi ned,

have you find something out?

hi ned,

have you find something out?

Sorry, been a bit busy lately, seems like this is not only a Rasplex issue, I have seen another post recently regarding other versions of OpenELEC/PHT having a similar issue (Rasplex is OpenELEC/PHT optimised for the Raspberry Pi). will see if I can delve a little deeper this weekend.

Regards.

Sorry, been a bit busy lately, seems like this is not only a Rasplex issue, I have seen another post recently regarding other versions of OpenELEC/PHT having a similar issue (Rasplex is OpenELEC/PHT optimised for the Raspberry Pi). will see if I can delve a little deeper this weekend.

Regards.

Hi Ned,

it takes a long time to find this bug, but it's now fixed vor PHT1.3+ Black Edition.

Regards

Hi Ned,

it takes a long time to find this bug, but it's now fixed vor PHT1.3+ Black Edition.

Regards

Yeah, thanks, what was it?

Regards

I thought using Finder in OS X would allow me to view the path but it seems Cyberduck is truly needed.

Currently I have some issues with it actually showing any content in TV/Movies/Music..

I can get the categories, but whenever I click one I get "Please Wait" and then nothing happens.

Any help will be appreciated :)

I am currently unable to locate the /storage/.plexht/addons ?
Running Rasplex v0.6 on a RPi2, and PMS on a ReadyNas 104 (Version 0.9.12.1)

Picture of available folders:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2197128/Plex.png

RasPlex:~ # pwd
/storage
RasPlex:~ # ls -la
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   13 root     root          1024 May  7 18:19 .
drwxrwxr-x   16 root     root           238 Apr 29 21:56 ..
-rw-------    1 root     root           143 May  7 18:19 .ash_history
drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root          1024 May  5 15:07 .cache
drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 .config
drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root          1024 May  5 15:07 .plexht
drwx------    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 .ssh
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 .update
drwx------    2 root     root         12288 Apr 29 21:57 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 music
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 pictures
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 screenshots
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 tvshows
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  1970 videos

I thought using Finder in OS X would allow me to view the path but it seems Cyberduck is truly needed.

Currently I have some issues with it actually showing any content in TV/Movies/Music..
I can get the categories, but whenever I click one I get "Please Wait" and then nothing happens.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Apparently you have modified your post since KnightOrc replied to it.

I will first address your original problem, as I have no clue to what you mean by the new post content. (What does 'Cyberduck' have to do with anything?)

Judging from the file list you linked to in your original post I believe that you were merely inspecting the SMB fileshares of RasPlex, rather than the real filesystem content as seen locally in the RPi itself. The SMB fileshares do NOT originally include the folder structure needed to access the custom skin location at "/storage/.plexht/addons/", and even if you use RPi command line through SSH, you need to realize that ".plexht" is a hidden folder (set so by the initial period in its name) so you'll need to use extra parameters to the "ls" command to list it inside "/storage".

Personally I prefer to fix this access problem by adding the "/storage/.plexht" folder as a new SMB fileshare, so I can access it conveniently.

This can easily be done without any commandline usage as follows:

01: Use your normal fileshare browser (OSX Finder I guess), to get the same folder list you posted earlier (in your original post).
02: Also open another file browser window to any local folder on your computer (another Finder window I guess).
03: In this listing window, open the share named "Configfiles".
04: Drag-drop the file named "samba.conf.sample" from the RPi window to your local folder window.
05: In the local folder window, rename that file to "samba.conf.txt".
06: Double-click the renamed file to open it in your normal text editor.
07: In this text note that definition blocks have headers enveloped in square brackets like: "[global]"
08: Skip past the [global] block (as it has special purposes) to reach one of the others that follow it.
09: At the start of the first next header, insert the following text block:

[-_storage_plexht]
  path = /storage/.plexht
  available = yes
  browsable = yes
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  root preexec = mkdir -p /storage/.plexht

NB: The header text in the brackets is what will be visible as the fileshare name. You can change it, but I like that form as it sorts the name to the top in most cases.

10: After inserting the text block above (not removing any original content but just inserting it), save the modified text file and exit from the editor.

11: Rename the edited text file so that its new name is just "samba.conf"

12: Drag-drop the new "samba.conf" file back to the RPi Finder window (assuming it still shows contents of "Configfiles" folder).

NB: That RPi folder will now have both "samba.conf.sample" and the new "samba.conf" which overrides the former.

13: Close the RPi Finder window.

14: Go to the RPi and use the side menu to restart it.

15: After full restart of RPi, go to the OSX system again.

16: Open a new Finder window to the RPi, which should now include the fileshare named "-_storage_plexht", which accesses the real "/storage/.plexht" folder.

17: If you open that folder you should see the "addons" subfolder, inside which you can place your custom PHT skins.

NB: If you save the edited "samba.conf" file you can reuse it for future RasPlex installs.

For those future installs you simply use the same guide as above, but go directly from step 02 to step 12.

Similar methods can be used for accessing most RasPlex folders from GUI filebrowser windows in any OS capable of using SMB fileshares.

I do it mostly from Windows, though it works equally well from OSX or Linux.

There is one exception though, in that some OpenELEC/RasPlex files/folders are write-protected.

Modifying those will require commandline methods through SSH protocol.

----- Now as to the new content of your post -----

If it's true as you say that your RasPlex can not show any content at all in TV/Movies etc, then I think the installation must be botched and you need to start over.

I'm not sure if you've succeeded in installing any custom skins yet, but faulty skin installation could very well lead to non-working results.

There are lots of skins around that will not work at all with current PHT, some of them even crashing the program directly on launch.

Best regards: dlanor

Just an FYI for ppl finding this post, when connecting it has to be using port 22..
For some reason Cyberduck and Forklift both suggested 21 even though it was using SFTP instead of FTP.

You don't need FTP software to copy over theme files, or anything else for that matter, to the Pi. Simple enough to do on the command line:

scp -r ~/skin.plex_black_editionHT/ root@192.168.1.7:/storage/.plexht/addons

@ynnoj said:
You don't need FTP software to copy over theme files, or anything else for that matter, to the Pi. Simple enough to do on the command line:

scp -r ~/skin.plex_black_editionHT/ root@192.168.1.7:/storage/.plexht/addons

whats the password?

never mind found it: rasplex

I have been using plex black edition skin for a while now and love it, the only thing wrong with it is when i go to movies and go across to the filters, they are overlapping slightly. The 'Recently added' and 'Recently Viewed' are overlapping the Filter title.

Is this a known issue or have i got an old version of the skin installed? if so can someone supply a link to the newest version of the skin.

Regards
Sean