Plex won't fast forward or rewind without restarting movie on Roku

roku

Not sure if this should be in Mac or Roku section, but I'll start here.

When I watch a movie, if I want to rewind or fast forward, it restarts the movie. I imagine this is due transcodes or something and having to start over, but, is there a way around this? It happens when resuming a movie too - or under circumstances where i might want to fast forward past the titles or something.

Is there any place to look at diagnostics in plex? How can I figure out if this is the Roku or my server? Or is it just a software bug?

I've noticed the problem is on large movies (i.e. 25GB ones) but not TV shows (2-4GB).

Any help appreciated. Roku and Plex are up to date, latest software.

I have movies that are 64GB in size and do not run into this problem so, I
do not think it's an issue with file sizes. I will say, I cringe when
rewinding or fast-forwarding movies because of the lag-time to resume.
That's the only issue I experience.

@bgower said:
rewinding or fast-forwarding movies because of the lag-time to resume.

I can deal with lag, but, this makes Plex unusable because if it restarts every time I change position I can't fast forward it back to where I was either. So, I'm stuck back at the beginning.

I've been using Plex for over 2 years. It's far from unusable. There are
quirks here and there, but the functionality always resumes and if there
are real bugs, they are addressed in updates along the way. What you are
experiencing is unusual. I recommend you attach logs and we'll see if
support will pick up on them and look into your issue.

Thanks for your response, bgpower. Which log should I post? Maybe makes more sense for me to put them in a pastebin?

I have Plex DLNA Server Log, Plex DLNA Server Neptune, Media Scanner Analysis, Media Scanner, and Media Server.

@bgower said:
I've been using Plex for over 2 years. It's far from unusable. There are
quirks here and there, but the functionality always resumes and if there
are real bugs, they are addressed in updates along the way. What you are
experiencing is unusual. I recommend you attach logs and we'll see if
support will pick up on them and look into your issue.

So I went through the logs, and found the relevant time. I've put it in a pastebin:
Plex Media Server Log.1: http://pastebin.com/G8y128pv
Plex DLNA Server Log.1: http://pastebin.com/2ptRETAg

Was watching The Fifth Element for ease of reading the log.

The other logs had nothing during the time I experienced the problems. Really the Plex Media Server Log is the only one with relevant information I could find, the DLNA log just has two entries around the time I was watching them movie.

Thanks again for any advice in troubleshooting.

This happens with some of my mkv files. I don't know why it happens on some mkv files and not others. However my solution is to use Handbrake to reencode the movie as .m4v. Then replace the mkv with the .m4v and Plex on roku restarts at last stopping point when I resume the movie. FFW and REW will also function normally. Weird thing is, the MKV will play, resume, FFW, REW in the browser on Mac. It seems to be a roku issue.

I have this issue as well on my Roku. It started recently for me as well. Really hope they resolve this...

It seems the issue goes away if I select "Transcode" or "Direct Stream", the resume bug shows up on Roku devices if I select "Direct Play" (forced to start from beginning)

@sonicjoy said:
This happens with some of my mkv files. I don't know why it happens on some mkv files and not others.

Is it only larger ones? For whatever reason smaller files seem to work for me.

@jsmestad said:
It seems the issue goes away if I select "Transcode" or "Direct Stream", the resume bug shows up on Roku devices if I select "Direct Play" (forced to start from beginning)

Hm. I've been tinkering with various play modes but seem to get it regardless. I'll try again changing that. I don't think I ever use anything except direct stream or transcode though...

Same issue on a WDTV Live. If anything is transcoded, ff/rew works but when "play" is pressed to start at that point, it restarts at the beginning of the movie. I can confirm this issue happens. Also, when doing so the timer on the WD shows 0-5 seconds, not the entire length of the movie.

I have worked around it since I have a WDTV Live and I have now managed to get the profile working so absolutely nothing is transcoding now since it can play anything.

@Mr. Battleplex said:
rewinding or fast-forwarding movies because of the lag-time to resume

Yeah, that alone is reason enough to use the optimiser feature and get direct play. I just wish we could set it to transcode in better quality than the realtime transcoding...

I am still having this issue… anyone find the answer?

I am having this issue as well (Plex on Roku). Direct Play presents the problem with not being able to seek (fast forward, rewind, instant replay), but disabling Direct Play and using Direct Stream allows seeking. The MKV plays fine in VLC and even WMP. According to Tautulli, the Direct Stream is still transcoding the container (Transcode (MKV > MPEGTS)) even though the video and audio streams are unmodified. Playing via Plex Web resulting in a transcode of the audio stream to stereo, so I can’t accurately test Direct Play via Plex Web (at least for this given movie) currently.

I’m having this issue as well. Pretty serious bug.

Same issue here on my roku3. Didn’t start until the new update. Also on plex my videos stop after about 20 minutes and causes the roku to reboot itself. Great update.