Push Content to DLNA Renderers

server-dlna

I would like to inquire as to why there is currently no feature that alllows one to push content they are browsing on a tablet or phone directly to their television.

Why is it that Plex doesn't allow this when countless other streaming apps do?

I would like to go over some reasons why it's a must; provided by another user in another thread.

Cheers @all,

i know this thread is a few days old, but anyway this seems to be the best place out on the web to tell my story ;)

i have to totally support MGM's opinion and i don't really know why there can't be found any efforts to get this kind of solution to work.

in the last few days i've been around in serveral discussion boards and penetrated google with my wish, to have a nice interface of my media library on my tablet, where ich can browse my content, have additional information about my movies like trailers, imdb rating, actors and so on AND can choose my dlna player devices like my livingroom TV to play that stuff.

Most of the discussion threads end up with "why do you need this, you can browse your DLNA library directly from your TV" ... yes ... sure i can ... but that doesn't come even close to the nice interface of the plex app for example. 

I have to admit that i'm in the lucky situation of having an 2012 LG TV which natively has an plex client installed. that comes close to what i'm looking for. but it would be even cooler to navigate with my ipad and to push the content to the tv. advantages:

• you don't have to navigate with the tv remote (which is a little frustration if you have a large library)
  • you don't have to switch the input channel cause dlna push starts immediatly
  • you don't need a plex client on your tv for the cool interface
  • you can start watching a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom (using the cool integrated feature "continue playing")

As MGM already mentioned, with the DLNA DMC option, the plex app would be the coolest thing on earth for all multimedia enthusiastic people - like me.

I really don't know why this feature isn't already implemented in the app. There are tons of apps for both android and ios which have this option, but the interface is always like browsing through folders ....

I have to admin that i haven't purchased the app, because of what i have red, the DMC feature is definitely not integrated an the moment. 

So pleeeeaaassse, dear plex developers, integrate that feature or at least let me know, what the problem is with that .... 

thanks in advance

The thread can be found here. If you ask me, this user hit the nail right on the head. It's a feature that's been needed for a long time!

If the feature is something that Plex still isn't interested in implementing, please, elaborate as to why; because it is painful to see such a good app fall short of greatness.

+1

For those of us that use Plex Media Server with a NAS and have TV's (or an Oppo BD player) that are DLNA DMR (digital media renderers) then it would be the perfect solution.  I use Plex client & Plex/Web from the iPad remote and pressing play from there would prevent all the DLNA menu navigation that is not nearly as usable as your native & web apps.

Bryce 

Definitely a feature that I would like, but there are other inexpensive solutions.

- if you have a iOS household, pick up an appletv and use airplay. You'll also gain the ability to push audio and video (YouTube) to the tv from your iphone or ipad. I know some android apps also support airplay but I don't have any recommendations to make :) you can also stream audio to multiple airplay receivers - having a party? Sync your music between main floor, rec room and back yard!

- pick up a raspberry pi and install rasplex.

My house is apple and I am using my apple tv 3 with iTunes to input to the oppo.  A more elegant solution would definitely be to enable plex to do the dlna push straight to the oppo.  If I get a vote, I definitely vote to make adding this feature a priority! 

+1

It's pretty ridiculous that plex can't already do this! Having to rely on such an ugly app like skifta is not something I want to keep on having to do.

+1

At the Moment I am using Oppo and BubbleUpnp and it works. The Problem is, that the PlexServer is not full compliant with DLNA. I cant search Genre Type in Music only by Artists.

So a Nativ Playto DRM Renderer wold be great.

That would be great indeed!
Isn't it a small change or adjustment to the Chromecast addition?

Anyway this would be absolutely the best !

Almost all TV's of the last few years have DLNA support.....

+1

for the Push Feature. XBOX One will benefit from it, as it supports DLNA as well :-)

+1.  I just assumed this would be built in to the Android app... paid, downloaded, logged in... then promptly got a refund.  

Come on, that is a basic feature in the DLNA world.

+1

Push DLNA would be an awesome feature on Plex !

I paid for the server full of hope, this is more than a deception that the connection with a rendrer is not implemented, it make the app loose half of his interest

Yep it can be done!

The function is called "play to" and most devices that support DLNA can use it. I use it in my home.

With the plex server "dlna enabled" and imedshare app on my tablet or phone I can push videos, TV shows from my plex server to any dlna device: "Xbox 360,roku,GTV,smart-Tv"

The only this I haven't tested is if the tablet or phone can be turned off and whether the stream would stop.  To see if the stream is independent of the mobile device.

You can lock the screen however and the stream still works.

Yep it can be done!

The function is called "play to" and most devices that support DLNA can use it. I use it in my home.

With the plex server "dlna enabled" and imedshare app on my tablet or phone I can push videos, TV shows from my plex server to any dlna device: "Xbox 360,roku,GTV,smart-Tv"

The only this I haven't tested is if the tablet or phone can be turned off and whether the stream would stop. "In hopes of saving battery on my mobile device."

You can lock the screen however and the stream still works.

Can you explain a bit more how this works?
Do you have a android phone or ios ?

I use android devices. I installed the imediashare app on my devices. Select the source (plex media server), select destionation (Xbox360, GTV, Roku) tada!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bianor.amspersonal  - Imedashare app

the App also give you Chromecast like control to seek and pause the playback.

devices must be connected to the same wifi or LAN network.

I think what the op is asking for is to not have to use a third party to push the feed but do it directly from the plex app.

I use the app Skifta on android today in the same manner. To send shows from my plex server to my Xbox one. Doing it from the plex app itself would be a nice feature.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

+1 again. There's a thread for this in the feature request forum. Head over and vote for it!

+1 again. There's a thread for this in the feature request forum. Head over and vote for it!

Where?

can you link it?

couldn't find it in general chat or is it for plexpass holders only?

Feature voting is Plexpass only.

Another +1 that Plex adds this functionality. Seems simple enough. Instead they're promoting us using a DIFFERENT application to browse and play videos. Seems contradictory.