Remote Access goes down without rhyme or reason

My remote access is spotty. I have enabled port forwarding, confirmed my router settings are all proper, and still I have inconsistent remote access. Every time I check the server when at home, it says all good. Remote access is up and running. However, the minute I leave for some time and try to access my server, it shows the libraries as offline. There is no error messages and every time I check, it says remote access is enabled properly. Whenever it matters, however, I cannot access my server. This is getting exceedingly frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. I am using Ubiquiti networking gear and do not seem to have any internet connectivity outages. I simply cannot access my media despite the server saying remote access is working.

Server Version#:
Player Version#:
<If providing server logs please do NOT turn on verbose logging, only debug logging should be enabled>

This is exactly what is happening to me. Xfinity updated the firmware in my bridged Xfinity router, un-bridged itself and whacked the port forwarding. I have the Nighthawk working normally again with Port Fowarding but Plex will not stay in remote access mode. Any whiz’s on this willing to chat via phone or remote into my machines?

What does this say for the port you opened? https://canyouseeme.org/

If it says success, confirm you can reach your server via http://<public-ip->:<external-port>/web off your network.

If you go to app.plex.tv off your network, does it give an error message (can’t connect securely) or just say unavailable?

Thanks for reaching out! I went to canyouseeme and for port 32400 it’s saying that it’s timing out. I used the app.plex.tv on my cell phone with wifi turned off and was able to log into my account. Earlier today remote access went down again and I was able to wrestle with it and it’s been up for about two hours now. Sometimes it will stay up for three or four days but eventually it stops.

This means your port isn’t open and the forwarding isn’t configured properly (if that’s the port you set in plex). Did you confirm the Nighthawk is reporting your public ip as it’s wan ip? This would confirm the bridge mode is correct. If so, share a screenshot of your forwarding rule and the plex remote access page, only hide the public ip.

You can also look into changing your forwarding rule and selected port to something other than 32400, pick a port higher than 45000.

If you have relay enabled, your connections are likely going over relay since the port isn’t open. You should disable that in the plex network settings so that you can ensure your direct remote access it setup properly. .

Did you confirm the nighthawk is showing your public ip as its wan ip? Share the plex remote access page screenshot (black out the public ip only)

Not too savvy here, trying to figure out where to look in the Nighthawk admin page to see if the IP’s match. I’ll send a shot of the plex remote access page, but it’s still up now.

You need to select the checkbox to set port 32400 as your port, otherwise plex will try to use UPnP and the port will be random and your rule wont be valid.

Is there a :0 next to the public ip? That would indicate it’s trying to use UPnP and can’t open a port.

If it’s using UPnP your rule won’t matter, but the port may be closing regularly. So setting is manually and having your own rule would be more stable.

You wouldn’t happen to live anywhere near Sacramento do you? :slight_smile:

Also, I used Whatismyipaddress and it gave the same number on my plex server as my desktop computer. Is that normal?

Here is some info from the Static Routes page on my Nighthawk.

Those two will always match. You need to look in your router for the WAN or broadcast ip. It’s usually under the internet status section or similar. That ip should match the ip you see in plex or at a website like you checked.

Next to the public ip in plex, is there a port number or a 0? If there’s a number, test that number via the canyouseeme site. If it shows open, that’s a good sign.

You should still manually select the checkbox on the plex remote access page, enter a new port number and update your rule on your router for that port. Then test that new port via canyouseeme.

If there was a port, and it was open, it means your router and plex were using UPnP. You don’t want to use that, you want to manually specify and create the rule. My guess is the UPnP rule kept changing and “breaking” your remote accsss. UPnP is a security issue and should be disabled anyway.

You don’t need this…

The number that is whited out matches the IP on my Main computer and plex server.

I’m asking about the port next to the ip….was it 0 or was it another port number. You tested 32400, but I’m assuming UPnp used another port.

Click manually specify, enter a port and update your rule and then test.

OMG, right after the Xfinity Router updated itself and un-bridged I went in and turned Bridge mode on. Just as a fluke I logged into it and it was off again! I’m going to reach out to Xfinity support. Anyway, I checked the check box on the remote access page and it went right into Fully Accessible. I did also turn of UPNP. Is that ok?

Yah, you want UPnP off.

If the port is 32400 in the box, test that and confirm it says success. If you changed it, test the port you used.

But my Samsung phone could only connect on a remote connection (with wifi turned off).