I'm facing a quite similar problem, so I was thinking of asking here for advice. The problem is when I play a video file (.mkv) on my PS4, it first shows the three dots (•••) on the screen and after that it starts playing video with major stuttering. The problem does not appear with all video files, which makes no sense. I'm trying to play files locally in same network and I'm using wired connection.
Solutions what I have tried so far:
- First I thought that file is corrupted --> Tried to play video on my computer --> Works perfectly with VLC and Plex Web Player.
- Tried same file with Universal Media Server --> Works perfectly with PS4 mediaplayer.
- I went through all available client settings on my PS4 Plex App (with/without direct play/stream etc.) --> Problem still there.
- The original bitstream of the video file is 2,2 Mbps, when I force it to play lower quality 2 Mbps, it plays fine but quality drops alot. Some other videos with much higher bitrate plays smoothly, so I assume it's not a network issue. Also I'm sure that my PC is capable to transcode the video file (Intel Core i5-4670k, 8,0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB).
- I also tried older version of Plex Media Server --> No difference.
- I also tried different PMS transcoding settings and there was no help for that.
I'm not an expert, but it seems to be some kind of transcoding or compatibility problem, because video runs fine when I put lower bitstream on my PS4 (and then my PMS should do transcoding, right?). So, what I'm missing or what could cause the problem?
Thanks in advance.