The Renamer on Windows 10 1803

other-third-party

Hi all,

Are you guys out there still using "The Renamer" for movies and TV show naming? I have been using it for ages and absolutely love it however the developer has not shown it some love for some time. I have just upgraded my Windows 10 to version 1803 and now the renamer wont run at all. I cant see anything in the event logs and I have tried running it in compatability mode but sadly no luck :-( Any one else spotted this? know of a fix? know of a decent alternative?

Thanks

:-)

So, I don’t use The Renamer, but I have an alternative workflow that I can share.

For my library, I don’t only want the files named correctly, but I also want to ensure that they have correct embedded tags including artwork for applications beyond Plex. So typically I run a utility to automatically apply movie / TV info to the files, and then a tool to rename the files based on the embedded metadata.

On Windows I have used MyMeta from the Microsoft Store and MetaX, which is also available for Mac. Both of these utilities can look up information in TTVDB and TMDB and tag files automatically.

For renaming (and to “fix up” tags for consistency if needed), I use MP3Tag. You can set up a custom renaming action using a template that matches Plex naming conventions. Although MP3Tag is mostly known for tagging music files, it also works with MP4 files, and is a kind of “Swiss army knife” of metadata editors.

All of these tools have batch modes that can work with multiple files at once.

It may sound a bit fussy, but I like the control this approach offers.

@GaMe

Had the same issues with 'The Renamer" I searched around and found the following to be the nearest.

• Its JAVA GUI based.
  • Can do multiple files, folders, drag & drop.
  • The output name can be tailored to what you prefer.
  • windows, osx, linux in x86 and x64 flavours.

it has a website and also on GitHub…

Give it a try - Im happy with it for TV series.

I thought it was just me! Tried all the same stuff as OP. Definitely ver 1803 bc I can still run it on 1709. Will try the one on GitHub…not too thrilled to pay $20 for FileBot

Yes, I can confirm the update breaks it. I have updated three machines now and it stops working on each one after the update. Unfortunately the forum is closed and there is no announcement on the website. I sent an email to the developer, but it bounced back because the inbox was full. So hopefully this is because lots of people have contacted Alfred and he’s getting around to a fix. It is a really great app and I’ve sent multiple donations over the years to support it.

Damn, I was hoping there was a solution. So far none of the other solutions suggested is as comprehensive. MyMeta doesn’t support the vast majority of file types I have, Filebot apparently has a terrible developer, tvrenamer.org doesn’t do it automatically, etc. I didn’t realize there was really only one solution to this until I had to go looking. Hopefully, we’ll find something else.

I agree, Debren. theRenamer is brilliant. Not only does it allow full customisation of renaming, but it handles the directory file structure automatically as well, with full customisation.

I checked out TVRenamer. It’s a single executable file - no install - but it seems to do a good job of identifying the TV shows and has an impressive customisation template, but I’m not sure if directory handling is as versatile. Interestingly on my 64-bit machine the 64-bit executable doesn’t work. I have to use the 32-bit version. In the meantime it is a very good alternative, but I’ll have to play with the moving element to see if it works as well.

Sad day. I’ve become dependent on theRenamer over the years. Hopefully I don’t have to resort to writing a replica in Python.

Same here. Tried all compatibility modes and admin, the renamer still fails to launch.
Following to see if a solution is forthcoming.

hoping for a fix ASAP. ive become so dependent on the renamer to organize my media library. in the absence of this program, can someone recommend something else that can possibly take its place?

Thought I was going nuts… :smiley:

Hopefully some clever cookie gets a workaround. I also use TinyMediaManager and after the Win10 Update it stopped working too…

So I uninstalled the latest update and it seems to work. Hopefully they will resolve this soon so I can update again.(not that I see any serious reason to, but anyway)

This post made me sad, I thought it was just me… does it have to do with Adobe Flash? I noticed it was somehow built with that, even though I don’t have flash installed.

Having the same issue. Been using it for years. great utility.

Yea, unfortunately I’ve updated my machines that run it as well, I have been using Sonarr recently for my TV Series but still use “The Renamer” for my movies… I hate to keep an installation unupdated just for “the Renamer” hopefully someone can figure out the issue.

i’m in the same situation with TMM, i thought i was going mad!

i have been using this tool for a long time and i am gutted that it has stopped working, has anyone found a work around yet ?

just as i posted this i had a play with my permissions and i have managed to solve this issue.

Right click on the root folder “tv shows” or whatever you have called it. go to properties / security and then make sure your login user account has full control ticked. Even though my account was a local administrator and the administrators group had full control this still didn’t work until i ticked the box for my own specific user account.

i then went into TMM and increased the allocated memory size to 1280mb and hey presto the renamer is now working again

@Bahney said:
just as i posted this i had a play with my permissions and i have managed to solve this issue.

Right click on the root folder “tv shows” or whatever you have called it. go to properties / security and then make sure your login user account has full control ticked. Even though my account was a local administrator and the administrators group had full control this still didn’t work until i ticked the box for my own specific user account.

i then went into TMM and increased the allocated memory size to 1280mb and hey presto the renamer is now working again

Like the rest, I have the same issue, anad the above hint injected some hope. However, I have the data on a NAS and the users I can add are only local to the NAS - not the user account from the HTPC that accesses the data. I would warmly welcome all other findings here so I can get the Renamer to work again, as I really need it for my flow as well …

My videos are on a Windows Storage Spaces share and changing user permissions didn’t help here either. I gave my actual account and the ‘Everyone’ account full control of my drive and the TheRenamer will won’t open.

i have managed to get this working, what i have found is that if i have other programs running then it just hangs and wont rename or make any changes but if i make sure i only have TTM running and nothing else then it renames fine, i have made sure that i have given it a lot of memory in the settings as well.

lastly i created a “new folder” with only a few dozen folders in and made the changes to them in here before moving them into my permanent location. this seeded up things massively i think i had too many tv shows or movies added to the search so it was taking too long and too much memory.

my external drives are attached to my win 10 machine and plex is running from that machine so i’m not using a nas or anything.

i’m sorry i can’t be more specific, but i changes permissions, made the directory being scanned smaller and allocated more memory to TMM. that seems to have worked for me.

Good luck everyone