I have just setup a plex server and some digital content I have works fine. However, if I try to access some dvd’s I ripped with makemkv they are horribly distorted and jerky. I tried to disable transcoding but that didn’t alter anything. I can rip the dvds again if that’s best but I need to find a way of watching my dvd collection without having to carry around the ps3 to which ever room I am watching tv in. I have included a screen shot of the issue and the xml details of the file.
Sorry you misunderstand. I’m currently trying it out in the browser on my pc. The PS3 is how I currently have to watch the dvds because I need a physical player. Plex is my way of making those dvds digital so I can get rid of the ps and stream directly to the kids tablets, fire sticks or smart tvs as needed.
Apparently I just have very bad luck. I went to open the file directly in vlc and that particular file is just borked. I’ll have to pull it off again. Well at least now I know they should work Thanks for the help
If you’re just setting off on your Plex journey then it’s far easier to adopt the correct naming as linked to by Otto.
If in the end Plex doesn’t work out for you then that same naming will be fine in pretty much any other Media server/player.
Kodi/Emby/Jellyfin etc…
If you have a lot of media to rename then tools like Filebot will be a great help.
Oof, yeah, if that is how it looks in the Plex player, then the original DVD rip is borked. Try again. I wonder if the disk didn’t manage to get de-crypted for the conversion. I don’t know if MakeMKV has options for video codec, but if there is, you can’t go wrong with x.264.
As for file names, yeah, Plex prefers files of a particular naming scheme. Your DVD, “The Best of Bugs Bunny, Volume 2”, is technically a MOVIE. Even though the episodes came from a TV Show, This DVD is a compilation collection of the best episodes, and has an entry in TheMovieDB here. So it’s best to set the name of the video to match that on theMovieDB, including the year it released in parenthesis after, like “Looney Tunes Collection: Best of Bugs Bunny Volume 2 (2004).mkv”. Most likely your file system will strip out the “:” colon because it’s not valid in file names. When that happens, I usually sub in a space-dash-space instead, like “Looney Tunes Collection - Best of Bugs Bunny Volume 2 (2004).mkv”.
The Plex movie scanner doesn’t give a fig regarding the names/locations of the folders when scanning for movies. So if you name a file “2.mkv” the scanner is going to get VERY confused and not match it properly. In fact, if you have any other files with the same name, I’d expect Plex to assume they are copies of eachother, and might “combine” them into a single entry.
Long story short, use the naming convention in this plex article.
Don’t. Just leave out the invalid character. Replacing it by another character or even a character combination will result in a lower matching score, thus reducing the likelihood of a successful match.
a movie but it’s ripped into 28 files. 1 for each cartoon so I can’t scan it in as a movie.
I will look at writing a script to run through the files and put all the folder data into the filename and see if that does better. Thanks all for the tips
I used to have issues with movies not matching when I used space-dash-space but as of a version half a year ago that stopped. I assumed the agent got a bit smarter about it and ignored a space-dash-space, since I have never lost a match since.
Leave it out then if Otto insists. I prefer to keep in a form of a separator, because I’m obstinate and still try to have my file names fit my ye-olde-style naming scheme from before Plex. Plus, not having any text/punctuation that indicates a “pause” in pronunciation triggers my inner grammar freak.
Edit: to @Daemon-byte:
ick. I’m not sure how to get Plex to recognize that. The site Plex uses to match to TV Shows is TheTVDB. I don’t see an entry for these episodes as a TV show, which might mean labelling each episode using the naming scheme in this plex article. You’ll have to determine which show the episodes belonged to, and which episode numbers they were, then make a TV Shows library.