Auto Update on Synology

server-synology

Hi, I'm pretty sure there used to be an Auto Update option under server settings in PMS, but now it seems to have disappeared? Any ideas?
Has the option been removed? If so, anyone know why?
I'm running DSM 6.1.3 on a DS916+ with the PMS 1.8.4.4249

If you mean the one in Plex settings->server->library, then it's still there. :)

No, not the library update. I'm talking about the software update of PMS itself.

Synology doesn't keep up with the current version of PMS and hasn't for some time now.
Your only timely and viable option is to download directly from Plex.tv and perform a 'manual install' in Package Center

There has never been auto update of Plex on a Synology NAS.

You should receive a message telling you to update manually provided you are using the correct update channel in Plex settings->server->general. That will provide a link so that you can download the latest package, but you still need to install the package manually in Package Center.

Ugg.. as often as Plex is releasing updates these days, this needs to be fixed.. Seriously, come on.... is Plex doing it's own auto-update really that hard?

At the very least, you could do a Synology Public Repo for automatic updates with the 64bit public version (non PlexPass) users .. Even as a PlexPass user, I'd use that just to get around the annoying update me thing that seems to be nearly every few days now.

As for PlexPass Synology repo users.. not sure why you couldn't, during update/download run a quick script to check the existing installation database for a plexpass account as being logged in.. Maybe I'm thinking to simple.. dunno.

Irony is.. auto-update is more useful to PlexPass users.. Would really appreciate this going up the ladder in priority for the Synology DSM users.

Plex cannot use the Syno Community system because Plex is a commercial enterprise.

Perhaps you could canvas Synology, and get them to co-operate with Plex and make it happen, until then, manual updating will be the order of the day.

Couldn't Plex themselves make a community package repo or add it to SynoCommunity?

Go back and read my reply again, and keep reading it until you understand what it says.

Trumpy81, creating a server that supports updating of Synology packages is simplicity itself. Any excuses based of "can't use the syno community server because it's a commercial package" is deflection.

I have chatted with Engineering on this matter.

1. Plex sends package binaries to Synology
  2. Synology does their QA and then publishes the package through their Package Center
  3. If a user wishes a Plex Pass (Beta) version, it is to be manually downloaded and manually installed.

If Plex is unwilling to setup a Synology compatible update server, perhaps the community should.
https://github.com/jdel/sspks

Just to let you know what will happen (I am not threatening)..

HQ will find it and order it taken down as they are with other sites storing the packages.

So why don't they operate one? It's trivial to setup, and would basically cost nothing.

I raised it to engineering and was told No. They don't want an 'Unofficial App Store" when Synology is the Official App Store.

@trumpy81 said:
There has never been auto update of Plex on a Synology NAS.

You should receive a message telling you to update manually provided you are using the correct update channel in Plex settings->server->general. That will provide a link so that you can download the latest package, but you still need to install the package manually in Package Center.

There has, mine has updated via the Package Center a couple of times (the most recent being two days ago). It's the first time it's done it in probably about a year though so it's seemingly not updated often.

@"chris.west87" If you want to believe that, go right ahead, but you are deluding yourself.

If you installed an early version of Plex (earlier than PMS 1.5.3) for the first time in DSM 6.1, then the Package Center will update it to PMS 1.5.3, this is because earlier versions of PMS are simply not compatible with DSM v6.1+. This is not an automatic update though, you must accept it before it will be performed, by clicking on the update button in Package Center.

There are no further update notifications for PMS shown in Package Center though. This update is imposed by Synology themselves, Plex is not involved in that at all unfortunately.

Plex MUST be updated by downloading the package from the Plex website and by performing a manual update, end of story.

If you are using the package that is available in Package Center (PMS 1.5.3), then you are many many versions behind and missing out on the latest fixes and features, such as Hardware Acceleration (if your NAS is compatible).

Synology will not update that version (PMS 1.5.3) until it is no longer compatible with DSM, then and only then will Synology update that package.

When DSM 6.2 is released to the public, you may see an updated version of Plex added to the Package Center, because by all accounts so far, Plex is not compatible with the DSM 6.2 beta, but that may change and it relies on what Synology do with DSM 6.2 and what changes they may or may not make to DSM 6.2 before it's release.

The devs are monitoring the comaptibility issues with Plex and DSM 6.2 beta, but until DSM 6.2 is released to the public, they cannot finalise a new build.

I can't see how I'm deluding myself when I saw with my own eyes the package being auto-updated within the Package Centre. I usually manually update so I was surprised to see it show an update was available automatically. I've got no reason to make this sort of boring crap up.

The “newest version” was the version that the Package Centre updated to, so clearly 1.5.3 isn’t the latest version available.

@"chris.west87" said:
I can't see how I'm deluding myself when I saw with my own eyes the package being auto-updated within the Package Centre. I usually manually update so I was surprised to see it show an update was available automatically. I've got no reason to make this sort of boring crap up.

Apologies, I meant you are deluding yourself if you think Plex automatically updates itself, it doesn't.

At best, Plex will alert you to an update by showing an orange bar across the top of the Plex/Web page. That will allow you to download the package by going to Plex settings > server > general and clicking on the download package button or by going to https://plex.tv/downloads.

You will then need to perform a manual install in DSM Package Center in order to update Plex.

However, Synology did change from PMS 1.5.3 to PMS 1.10.0 in the Package Center (as shown under newest version in your screenshot above) and that was the update you were alerted to. It was not automatic though, since you had to click on the update button in order to install it.

This update was forced by Synology, Plex had nothing to do with it, which is part of the problem if you see where I'm coming from.

The next time that happens will most likely be when DSM 6.2 is released to the public, assuming the latest version of Plex is no longer compatible with DSM at the time.