HDR Buffers Like Crazy (Also Bitstreaming HD audio is still needed)

xbox-one

Just updated to the new app. Happy to see resolution switching! But playing back rips of my HDR Blu-rays buffers after a thirty seconds or so and then forces a transcode. I'm connected via wired gigabit and to the same switch as my AppleTV (also wired gigabit) which plays the same material back without any trouble in the Plex app and Infuse.

Also, no bit streaming audio yet is unfortunate. Still want to be able to playback HD audio tracks, including Atmos.

Hi there. Are they straight rips or encodes down to a lower bitrate? We’ve seen issues with relatively high bitrate media.

Straight rips. Ok, good to know. I’ll stick with the AppleTV for now.

@Moussa said:
Hi there. Are they straight rips or encodes down to a lower bitrate? We’ve seen issues with relatively high bitrate media.

Well that stinks, hopefully this is a solvable issue otherwise my 4k rips are still useless to me :frowning:

@Moussa said:

Any idea when this may be addressed @Moussa? With the addition of HDR support the One X had been lined up to suddenly be my all home theater player. At the moment I’m unable to play any high bitrate 4k HDR media direct play without excessive buffering.

@OkelV said:

@Moussa said:

Any idea when this may be addressed @Moussa? With the addition of HDR support the One X had been lined up to suddenly be my all home theater player. At the moment I’m unable to play any high bitrate 4k HDR media direct play without excessive buffering.

I’m interested in an update too.

@OkelV Are you forcing a transcode or do you have direct play on? I’m always forcing a transcode and when testing it last night I noticed that my CPU (Haswell, i7-4790k) which doesn’t break a sweat with 1080p, is maxing out with 4k content. And, even though I’ve got hardware acceleration turned on, the GPU isn’t really doing much when playing 4k. When playing 1080p however, the GPU is helping more. As a result, buffering is painful especially when skipping ahead or back.

@mbarylski, AFAIK if you’re transcoding any 4k content on the Xbox Plex App, it’ll be forcing a transcode to 1080p. Ideally you’ll want your 4k content to be Direct Playable though right? I mean it’s hefty stuff for your CPU otherwise.

More of an explanation on the transcoding at this thread:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/294993/xbox-one-x-directplay-and-4k#latest.

@OkelV said:
@mbarylski, AFAIK if you’re transcoding any 4k content on the Xbox Plex App, it’ll be forcing a transcode to 1080p. Ideally you’ll want your 4k content to be Direct Playable though right? I mean it’s hefty stuff for your CPU otherwise.

More of an explanation on the transcoding at this thread:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/294993/xbox-one-x-directplay-and-4k#latest.

It seems that may be the case. My problem with direct play has always been the pink/green artifacting though which I don’t think is fixed with 4k videos. And, based on the thread, it’s going to transcode anyways since the DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD audio streams aren’t supported with direct play. It seems I’m stuck. Might just need to get a ShieldTV.

We’re still working on the buffering issue. We’re working with Microsoft on some platform issues that are likely related.

@Moussa

@Moussa said:
We’re still working on the buffering issue. We’re working with Microsoft on some platform issues that are likely related.

Thanks for the update.
Just one discovered lead about buffering issue, that might be useful. Latest Plex client 2.9.1 was still buffering my 4k content, but… When I updated Plex server to latest 1.13.0.5003 from Apr 30. This issue seems to dissapear and looks fine now.

Thanks,I

Unhappy wife unhappy life - for the last 6 days :’(

I just don’t understand how Emby can work flawlessly but Plex has been having buffering problems for over half a year.

I would switch to Emby right now but I don’t like the thought of paying a monthly fee to watch movies I already have or pay the one-time $120 lifetime fee.

I really hope this issue gets resolved soon. And by “soon”, I mean this year.

@kalinius said:
I just don’t understand how Emby can work flawlessly but Plex has been having buffering problems for over half a year.

I would switch to Emby right now but I don’t like the thought of paying a monthly fee to watch movies I already have or pay the one-time $120 lifetime fee.

Actually Emby plays all my 4K HDR video with just a green screen on my XBOX ONE X. There is a thread there with multiple people reporting the same problem without a solution from the officials.

@“Wenjun YU” said:

@kalinius said:

Actually Emby plays all my 4K HDR video with just a green screen on my XBOX ONE X. There is a thread there with multiple people reporting the same problem without a solution from the officials.

Well that’s a bummer lol.

All of my movies are in 1080p so that wouldn’t affect me, but that still sucks for people who have lots of 4k content.