How do I add movies to Plex using synology NAS?

server-synology

Can I please get step by step instructions for adding a movie using Synology NAS?

Thank you.

First step is to make sure your Movie file/s are named correctly. Movies should follow this template:

Movie Title (Year).ext where Movie Title is the name of the Movie, (year) is the year of release (default is the US release date) and .ext is the file extension such as .mp4, .mkv etc.

EG: Alice Through The Looking Glass (2016).mp4

For more information regarding File Naming in Plex, see the link in my signature.

I also recommend that you use FileBot to automatically rename your files for you.

FileBot for Synology:
https://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1802

Plex naming schemes for FileBot:

FileBot Introductory Videos:
http://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

FileBot may be installed on a PC/Mac/Linux machine also.

Next step read Q3 - Q6 on the Synology FAQ’s page, link in my signature.

When that is done, place your Movie file/s into the Movie folder and then create your Movie library in Plex.

Open the Plex home page and then click on the + beside the name LIBRARIES. Select the appropriate type for your library and name it (or you can use the default name) and click on next. Then click on ‘browse’ and navigate to the location of your Movies folder on the NAS and select it, click on add. Next, click on ‘Add Library’.

Note, your shared folders will be on volume1 unless you create them elsewhere.

Assuming you have correctly named files in your Movies folder, Plex will proceed to scan the contents of that folder and add your Movies to the Movies library. Plex will also analyse your files (for file parameters etc.) and download metadata and posters and then include that information in your library.

Depending on the number of files you add, Plex may take a short time or a long, long time to complete that task.

When you wish to add files to your Movies library, simply drop them into the Movies folder and Plex will automatically scan the folder after a minute or two and then proceed to add the new files to your Movies library.

The same applies to TV Shows, but note that the file naming used for TV Shows is quite different to Movies, so make sure you visit the File Naming in Plex link in my signature.

Is it necessary to use parenthesis around the year?

Yes. Make sure to follow the Plex naming conventions exactly, otherwise you will have odd issues pop up. The link to the naming convention is in trumpy’s signature.

Thank you, I appreciate your advise.

I just got a Synology DS1517+ and it’s running Plex Server 1.12. I can’t seem to load any movie files into it. We’re running a Plex server on a local PC at the moment, so our content is formatted properly. Just can’t seem to get it to see the files.

Then I suggest you read and follow the replies you received in the other thread.

Figured it out yesterday. I forgot to update this thread. It was permissions on the NAS. The Plex account didn’t have permissions to target folder, so naturally, it couldn’t load a library from there.

In future, instead of hijacking year old threads why not create your own?

That makes it easier to get the help you need and it makes it easier to find the answers you are looking for and don’t forget about search, it can find answers already given for issues such as this.

@Leadfingers said:
Figured it out yesterday. I forgot to update this thread. It was permissions on the NAS. The Plex account didn’t have permissions to target folder, so naturally, it couldn’t load a library from there.

Darn. I was too late :D.