Movies always match Madagascar 3

server-mac

#1

For about the last month or so every movie I've added has been matched against Madagascar 3. I can go into "Fix Incorrect Match" and the correct movie is usually the 2nd on the list with Madagascar 3 at the top. Once I've fixed it it stays fixed although I don't dare refresh the library in case every movie is matched to Madagascar 3. That would be very time consuming to sort out.
Can anybody suggest what I can do to fix it?


#2

On a side note...
This is is the first time I've posted here so perhaps I did something wrong. When I posted this question it was immediately marked as "answered" when nobody had even read it. How does that happen? How do I mark it unanswered?


#3

Make sure that you follow the guidelines - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation - and that the media files doesn't contain any metadata (tags). Double-check that the folder hasn't got an .nfo file with an incorrect IMDB-link.

After that, try to clear the caches for your agents - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202967376-Clearing-Plugin-Channel-Agent-HTTP-Caches


#4

I've tried these suggestions without success but it has helped point me in the right direction. The movies affected are only those recorded off-air using EyeTv after a recent update. It rather points to a bug or change introduced at that time.

My process is to use handbrake to convert the EyeTv recording to MP4. It looks like this may be picking up some metadata which is upsetting the matching process.

Any suggestions as to where I should look to solve this would be most welcome.


#5

You could use subler (https://subler.org/) to check the files for embedded metadata.


#6

Thanks for the suggestion. I've installed Subler but it didn't reveal anything which explains what's happening.


#7

I'm having the exact same problem ( and matching the same movie!). I've only seen it happen when I rip a disc, stuff that comes from my TiVo via cTiVo comes through fine. I'll try some of the suggestions here as well.


#8

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

How do you rip from disc? Do you use Handbrake to process it?


#9

I'm getting this too. It happens for me only on sequels (titles either have a number or sub-title). Is there a way to change which agent does the default auto match? If I auto match with Plex Movie, it gives me Madagascar 3, if I auto match with The Movie Database, it gives me the correct movie.


#10

@baroeric said:
I'm getting this too. It happens for me only on sequels (titles either have a number or sub-title). Is there a way to change which agent does the default auto match? If I auto match with Plex Movie, it gives me Madagascar 3, if I auto match with The Movie Database, it gives me the correct movie.

I found the answer to my own question. You can edit the library, in the Advanced tab, assign the agent to "The Movie Database" instead of "Plex Movie". How can we submit this issue so they can fix the "Plex Movie" agent?


#11

Thanks @baroeric. I've tried that and found that if, when you "Fix and Incorrect Match", you drop-down Auto Match and select "The Movie Database" it matches correctly and will continue to match correctly if you re-open "Fix Incorrect Matches". So it looks like it's a problem with the Plex Movie agent (which appears to use IMDB).

The Settings, Agents option allows you to make some changes to the agents used to match movies but I can't find any way to tell it to use "The Movie Database" in preference to "Plex Movie" for matching new additions. In fact it's not at all clear what the Agents settings does.


#12

@mike4ql. If you click the little pencil next to your library on the home page, it brings up the library editing window where you can rename your library, add folders, etc. On the left there is an "advanced" button where you can choose which agent to set the whole library to use, so any new additions to this library will use it.


#13

@baroeric . Thanks, I'd completely forgotten that was there!


#14

I also have this exact same problem using Plex Media Server on Synology. Using the latest version as of 10/19/16. Switching to the Movie Database agent fixes the issue. Same movie as well Madagascar 3.


#15

I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one! Haha!! This has been driving me crazy!
Thanks for the tips. I’ll try switching the agents and hopefully that will work


#16

+1 on the Madagascar match. The only way i add movies is through Handbrake ripping. It seems completely random but the issue keeps coming back.


#17

Is there any way to use MovieDatabase agent only? I like to leave these running overnight and end up getting stacked movies in the morning. I’m having this issue too, and it’s driving me batty as everyone says “just follow the naming convention” which I am!


#18

You can make your movie library use The Movie Database for all new entries by clicking the pencil icon next to the library name.

Although this stops it picking Madagascar 3 I’ve found it means you don’t get extras, like trailers.


#19

Mike4ql,
Thanks!

I’ve also found that doing a Database Rebuild resolved the issue. I lost all my play counts, etc, but now everything is working correctly as far as automatching is concerned


#20

And the problem is back again. No idea what has triggered the return