Plex Dvr record location


#1

I read the forum and the faq and I didn't found information about dvr save location. Is it possible to manage where plex save recorded program?


#2

I also would like to know. I have Plex installed on a SSD and would like recordings on my 6TB drive with my other libraries.


#3

I might have figured it out. I went to record a Movie and it asks me what library to add to, so it might be putting the file in my Movie file location. Then I went to record a TV Show and it wanted to add it to my TV Show library. So it looks like its using your library location and adding them right in with all your other content.

Plex, is this correct?


#4

I am not using the beta version. But as far as I have understood it, you can select the library where it should add the recording to.
You are right that it distinguishes between Movie and Series content and only allows adding them into libraries of the proper type.
But you can easily set up several libraries of either type. so you could decide to have all recorded tv shows in a separate library.
You can equally do the following: Libraries in Plex can point to not only one, but several folders and hard disks. You could therefore add two folders to a library and designate one of these folders for recordings. The record dialog lets you choose among the different folders which are assigned to a library.
see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJ7el6Gajc


#5

@gregpolen said:
Plex, is this correct?

Yes, this is correct.
It is also explained in the video above.


#6

[ Question Moved As Requested ]


#7

@paq237 said:
Is there a way to set up a default recording location?

I can't help you with this specific question. Please take it into the proper subforum and ask there:
http://forums.plex.tv/categories/dvr-beta


#8

One thing was not answered - what if your library contains multiple folders. Then to which folder does it save the files to?


#9

@TheCritic said:
One thing was not answered - what if your library contains multiple folders. Then to which folder does it save the files to?

Watch the video above. You pick one when you schedule the recording.


#10

@OttoKerner said:

@TheCritic said:
One thing was not answered - what if your library contains multiple folders. Then to which folder does it save the files to?

Watch the video above. You pick one when you schedule the recording.

This didn't answer my question. The video above shows him saving to "TV Shows" Library - yet that library can have multiple source folders.


#11

@TheCritic said:
yet that library can have multiple source folders.

Yes and you can choose among these multiple folders.


#12

@gregpolen said:
I might have figured it out. I went to record a Movie and it asks me what library to add to, so it might be putting the file in my Movie file location. Then I went to record a TV Show and it wanted to add it to my TV Show library. So it looks like its using your library location and adding them right in with all your other content.

Plex, is this correct?

If your looking for where Plex puts the file BEFORE it puts it in its final location, it's in a folder under the folder you originally assigned to the library when you created it. Its called ".grab". I had the same concerns as you, as I have a SSD also.

For example, if you assigned a library called "Recorded TV" to the location D:\Media\RecordedTV then the temporary location that the video gets recorded in is D:\Media\RecordedTV.grab

Hope this helps.


#13

Its actually \Media\RecordedTV.grab. And yes you can choose which folder in your "Recorded TV" library. And as a default it takes the first location that is there defined in that library. Note, if you run a post=processing script, it runs before Plex DVR moves the file from .garb to its final location. Keep that in mind.


#14

Can I set the temp recording directory (.grab) to a different location than a subdirectory in the final TV Shows library? Like Transcoding, I can set Plex to transcode to any location for transcoding purposes only ( I use a RAM drive) then serve it up.

I have a dedicated Plex Server and store content on a NAS. I would prefer to record to a temp directory on the Plex Server, have Plex remove commercials, then move the final file to my NAS.


#15

@MalibuDave42 said:
Can I set the temp recording directory (.grab) to a different location than a subdirectory in the final TV Shows library? Like Transcoding, I can set Plex to transcode to any location for transcoding purposes only ( I use a RAM drive) then serve it up.

I have a dedicated Plex Server and store content on a NAS. I would prefer to record to a temp directory on the Plex Server, have Plex remove commercials, then move the final file to my NAS.

MalibuDave42, I have the same need. Did you find a solution?


#16

From the OP below, it looks like you may have opted to use MCEBuddy?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/299898/is-there-any-way-to-separate-temp-recording-storage-from-library#latest

If that's the case, I think I'll just see if Plex will allow me to put a symlink in place of the .grab folder and redirect back to my SSD for temp transcoding. Not a great solution as Plex should allow this location to be customized, but it should work and wouldn't require any 3rd party tool.


#17

The only thing I have found is that once a recording is scheduled, go to the Recording Schedule and click on a scheduled item. From there you can choose 'Modify Recording' and there is an option to pick which library or folder you want the recording to ultimately be written to. I haven't found a way to change the default yet.


#18

I ended up creating a hard link on my Plex server (Windows 10) to accomplish this. So far it's working great but it would be nice if this was a configurable option. Does anyone know if a feature request has been submitted?