Synology DS918+ Plex pauses and then playback not possible after 30 minutes into a movie

server-synology

I have installed PMS from Synology's package center. I'm running PMS version 1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b

This issue has now happened the last 3 days. I have started a movie and after about 30 min it simply stops, then PMS reports there is a problem with playback. I try to restart and it won't pick up where it left off. If I restart from the beginning and fast forward to right before it paused it will stop again at the exact same spot. This is getting very frustrating.

I tried to change the directory where the temp transcoding happened, but that didn't seem to have any effect. Or am I supposed to restart PMS after I make that change?

Logs from today are attached.

Any guidance as to why this is happening and how to resolve would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if any more info is needed.

Please don't download PMS from the Synology store. You're not getting the right (best) version for your NAS.
They only offer the 32 bit version. Your machine should be running the 64 bit version.

I recommend you only download from plex.tv/downloads (DSM 6+ - 64 bit)

Will that solve my issue?

Very likely Yes. The DS918+ does not have enough brute force to run the less-efficient 32-bit version. Functionality is the same with exception of hardware transcoding. HW trancoding is only possible in the 64 bit version. Switching to it takes the "CPU" load and pushes it to the "GPU"

Uninstalled the PMS version from the Synology package center. Installed 1.11.2.4772-3e88ad3ba from Synology's Download center.

I will do some more testing and update this thread if the problem is resolved or not.

Please REMOVE Plex you downloaded from Synology.

http://plex.tv/downloads is where you must download from.

Does the uninstall feature in DSM not work? I'm not sure how to remove it completely via DSM. It would appear to still be an issue, so I wonder if even though I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version if that older version is affecting it. Watching a movie I haven't watched yet and it crapped out again at 27:53 which I believe is the exact minute/second mark that all the other movies crapped out at.

BTW, I really appreciate how responsive and helpful you have been, Chuck. Hopefully, we can both cure my ignorance (I've only had the NAS for about a month). I appreciate any guidance you can offer .

Package Center -> Actions -> Uninstall removes the binary program. Your metadata (library) is maintained.

Next you'll perform a 'Manual Install" and browse to the location of the SPK (downloaded from Plex) on your computer. It will upload and then you'll confirm installation. That's it.

OK. Then I did do that before I did the manual install for the 64-bit version. Still having the 27:53 freeze issue.

@ChuckPA said:
Please don't download PMS from the Synology store. You're not getting the right (best) version for your NAS.
They only offer the 32 bit version. Your machine should be running the 64 bit version.

I recommend you only download from plex.tv/downloads (DSM 6+ - 64 bit)

Greetings Chuck,
Not trying to start a problem here but I see this same statement time and time again, If the package centers for the NAS/Device in question are not the right versions why on earth are they offered to begin with? Would it not make more sense and less confusion to either-

a) Only have a download link that redirects the user to Plex downloads or
b) Instruct the user to go to the Plex download page to download the PMS for there product

What ever the problem is Plex or OEM getting the users on the Plex platform with the least amount of confusion/problems should be front and center. Starting users off on the wrong foot is a lasting impression and the complaints are surly to snow fall from there.

@"benjgould@gmail.com" said:
OK. Then I did do that before I did the manual install for the 64-bit version. Still having the 27:53 freeze issue.

What version of 'Plex Media Server' are you running now? The current (stable) version is 1.10.1.4602, That's what you should be running......

Another question I have is have you tried playing any other movies to see if they play without any problems?

@"benjgould@gmail.com" said:

Let's take this to the next level please.

1. With you running the 64 bit version, recreate the playback freeze
  2. When it freezes, let it sit there until it times out on its own. This will be reported in the logs
  3. Wait 20 seconds after that popup and collect the logs again.
  4. Also please get the XML ( Hover over the item -> Get Info -> View XML ) and attach that here. with the ZIP log files.

@RayIT

Please see your PM

I tried a different movie that hadn't streamed before, even changed to a different TV. I got farther into the movie, but it eventually did hang and stop.

I waited at least 20 seconds and downloaded the logs. also attached is the XML from the movie was streaming.

I cannot see what you're seeing in your logs at this point.

I would like you to download the Public version 1.10.1 and install it (uninstall 1.11.2 as you do). Next I would like you to repeat your playback test. If the Public plays without issue and Beta doesn't, that will give us something to go on.

OK. Thanks, I will try that when I have access to the server this evening.

When I go to download the Plex version for my Synology NAS, I can't seem to select the version you mention. How do I find it and install?

Turn Plex Pass Downloads offf

My apologies that I seem to be annoying you.

I uninstalled the other version, turned off Plex Pass Downloads. Was able to grab and install the version you recommend. Then I watched a whole movie with zero buffering issues and no stoppages. If this continues, this issue is solved. I appreciate your help, ChuckPA.

Well not so fast. I started streaming a TV show I had ripped and encoded. At 33:03 it started buffering. Then every 10 seconds the buffering occurred again. This happened 5 times before I paused to write this up.

Will update more if it continues.