Watch crossover episodes of several series in-order

Unfortunately Plex doesn’t track your progress through a playlist.
With audio, there is currently no workaround for this.

With TV shows and movies however, you can make it work.
This relies on the watched/unwatched status which Plex stores for every video, and on ‘smart playlists’ and on the ‘Airdate’ which Plex downloads automatically for correctly matched tv show episodes…

Here is an example for the Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow ‘universe’:

This is a ‘smart’ playlist, which grows and shrinks automatically as new episodes come in and episodes get watched.

the snag:

if you stop in the middle of an episode, the episode may or may not be included in this playlist anymore, depending on how far into the episode you got.
In this case, you must remember to

1. continue watching the half-watched episode from OnDeck
  2. after this episode is finished, don’t continue watching, but press Stop
  3. then call up your playlist and play this instead

Thankfully the above workaround is no longer needed in some Plex clients (Plex Media Player for instance).

How to build the playlist:

1. enter your TV Show library in Plex Web
  2. set the library view mode to ‘Episodes’
  3. then activate the ‘Custom Filters’

1. filter for ‘Show Title’ ‘contains’ ‘Arrow’ or ‘Flash’ (you must press Enter after typing in each show title)
  2. click on the + icon to add a second filter condition ‘Episode plays’ ‘is’ ‘0’ (again, press Enter after typing the 0)
  3. click on ‘Apply’

1. set the sorting order to ‘By Air Date’
  2. set the sorting order again to ‘By Air Date’ (only this time, it will be ascending - check the little arrow icon) - this is crucial!

1. finally, click on the ‘Add to Playlist’ icon (circled in the second screenshot above) and give your playlist a name and save it

Outstanding stuff @OttoKerner :)

OMFG, i was doing this manualy, i love you <3

I just wanted to thank you for this tutorial. It’s really great, and something that Plex should implement as an actual full supported feature.

So far the only hiccup I’ve encountered is that if shows air on the same days then it defaults to alphabetical* since it can’t take into account the air times. See this screenshot as a really obvious example since it’s a four-part crossover:

The order shows up as:

Arrow -> Supergirl -> DC's Legends of Tomorrow -> The Flash

When the correct order should be:

Supergirl -> Arrow -> The Flash -> DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Unfortunately, there’s no way to manually change the order in this “Smart Playlist”.

But really, this is not that big deal, I can just manually do the important ones. At the end of the day, this is really great, and for shows that don’t crossover so much, or just making your own random “TV Season” style playlist, this is fantastic.

* It might not actually be alphabetical, it might be like file creation date, or date modified or something, I’m just guessing.

As a side note, I noticed that the dropdown where in the tutorial you choose Episode Plays and set it to 0, also has Episode Unwatched, which can be set to is true or is false. That would seem to be the better choice at first glance, but maybe that's been added more recently. Just a thought :)

@rwoffice said:
So far the only hiccup I've encountered is that if shows air on the same days then it defaults to alphabetical* since it can't take into account the air times.

Yes, there is only a 'date' available in the metadata sources, no clock time.

As a side note, I noticed that the dropdown where in the tutorial you choose Episode Plays and set it to 0, also has Episode Unwatched, which can be set to is true or is false. That would seem to be the better choice at first glance, but maybe that's been added more recently. Just a thought :)

Back then when I wrote the tutorial, 'unplayed=true' was getting automatically converted to 'plays=0'.

No worries, I didn't even know half the stuff in this tutorial was even possible, so it was a big learning experience. Thanks again!