[HowTo] AND and OR filtering

Maybe I’m late to the party on this, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention it. I just discovered that OR filtering is still available. Everyone clamored for AND filtering, but I thought it was a little odd that they dropped OR filtering when they added AND. Turns out, they didn’t drop it.

AND filter:
If you add rows to the custom filter and select the same property in each (Collection, for ex.) row, the filter evaluates the rows as an AND filter.

OR filter:

Select multiple values on a single custom filter row by repeating the action:
While viewing the Custom Filter UI, click the Value field once and pick the first value. Then click the Value field again to pick the second (or third, etc.) value. These will be treated as an OR filter.

I originally posted this in a thread I had started about a problem, but I think it deserves its own thread to let people know about it.

I’m a bit lost, where is this? All I see are the standard filters, genre, country and collection. When I select collection the only option i see “deselect all”.

If your Plex Web is 3.0, when you drop down the Filter menu, at the bottom is a ‘Custom Filter’ item.

Hi, is this only available to Plex Pass users? I’m using Web viewer 3.1.1 and I only get the following:

(What’s even more annnoying is that the Genres available from this menu are not the highly nuanced ones which I’ve very carefully tagged my albums with, but some really generic ones which Plex is pulling from goodness knows where. But I guess that’s a story for another post …)

@hertfordkirks said:
Hi, is this only available to Plex Pass users? I’m using Web viewer 3.1.1 and I only get the following:

You need to be at least on Server version 1.4.3
If you are already using that, optimize your Plex database and restart Plex server.

As far as I know, the custom filter is available to all, but there are some reasons you might not have it:

1. I think you need to run the “Optimize database” command before it will appear.

2. If you’re using Plex Cloud Server, I don’t think the feature is implemented in Plex Cloud yet.

Thanks, will try that…

Brilliant this works, and I have access to the new filters interface, so thanks to @OttoKerner and @beckfield .

I still don’t have access to my ‘in-depth’ genres though. Maybe I could start another topic, it’d be really nice to have …

Cheers anyway.

@hertfordkirks said:
What’s even more annnoying is that the Genres available from this menu are not the highly nuanced ones which I’ve very carefully tagged my albums with, but some really generic ones which Plex is pulling from goodness knows where. But I guess that’s a story for another post …

If you’ve already tagged your files very carefully, you need to set a few Plex preferences differently and then re-import your files into Plex.

All follow-up question in a different thread, please.

Plex needs a “and” “or” option to filter with multiple criteria. For example, I can choose to filter using and/or within a single criteria (like Collection, Title, Rating, etc,), but not between multiple criteria like Collection AND Director.

This would be useful for making lists of, say, “all movies with Stephen King stories.” I can choose multiple Collections, but if I add “Stephen King” as director, I’m only shown movies with “Stephen King” as the Collection, AND Stephen King as the Director. If I had the option of choosing “OR” I would see movies that had King as the Collection OR Director. See below.

What you are asking for is “Nested Rules” which is something that is on our radar and we would like to support.

No ETA on when that unfortunately.

I’ve found that the OR works for IS evaluations, but it does not work for IS NOT evaluations. It seems to run the OR’s completely independent thereby nullifying each other. My expectation is that if I say:

Album Genre is not “x” or “y”
That neither X nor Y albums would show in the list. However, they are both showing.